Cast Iron & glass top stoves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
Can cast iron pans be used on glass top stoves? I really want to start collecting & using cast iron, but I can't remember if they can be used with these or not. I was told when we bought the stove that glassware like Visions dosen't work well. I don't use that so it was not a problem. I know I can use cast iron in the oven so even it it can't be used on the stove, I'd like to have some.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I am pretty sure you can use cast iron on your glass top as long as you do not drag it across the surface or drop it down too hard.

I hope someone else can give you a more definitive answer.

I use mine on a ceramic-top stove nearly every day without a problem. I think the concern, like GB points out, is scratching or breaking the cooktop, not performance of the cast iron.

:) I was wondering the same thing I got a whole bunch of cast iron pots from my dad including every size fry pans,dutch ovens and a grill pan I have a ceramic stove top which I love but have been reluctant to try these pans on it.

I think there's some concern about the fire ring that a lot of older cast iron pans have. I've heard you're not supposed to use them on glass tops. Some say the flat bottomed cast iron is ok.

Check with the maker of your stovetop and see what they say. You might have a lifetime "unlimited" warranty but I bet there is an exclusion clause in there somewhere about misuse or abuse ... and a failure due to the type of cookware you used would probably fit into that catagory.

Aside from scratching ... two things to think about. As someone noted, not all cast iron has a flat bottom ... some has a ring around the bottom that actually raises the bottom up a little. The second thing would be the weight. I have an enamel water canning pot that warns against using it on a glass cooktop because of the weight.

I've got a white ceramic cook top (love it, it's gorgeous, stays spotlessly clean, looks brand brand new and I've had it 2 years now); and I use cast iron all the time.

I don't drag them, ever. But I don't drag anything on this top. I'm careful with it in general.

I did, though, once, actually drop a huge cast iron skillet (picked it up with a wet towel as a pot holder - not a great idea), and it didn't crack or scratch it! amazing as that sounds. So maybe it's more durable than I'm giving it credit for.

Liza

I've got ceramic top electric and a Lodge cast iron and have good results on it. I just lift rather than slide and make sure I don't drop it.

Thank you all very much! I relly appriciate all your help & advice. Now my next step is to get some cast iron. All I have is a tiny pan that is not good for much of anything. I have used it a few times in the oven to reheat fried apple pies(I can only do 1 at a time in it though). Gives them back that real nice crunchy/flakey just fried crust.

crewsk, if you get a regular-sized cast iron frying pan, lift it a few times away from the stove first to get used to it, because they are quite heavy. I recommend Lodge Logic - these are pre-seasoned and have an exellent finish for only $4+- more than unseasoned.

Thanks all. I've owned a glass top stove for three years and absolutely love it. Those who hate them .... have spouses who clean their stove after they make a mess. I bought a set of pots & pans when I bought the stove, and the only problems I've had have been cosmetic and comedic (mice gather dog food and make nests under the stove top!) But I didn't know about the cast iron. Now I won't fear it.

ceramic range top

Hey everyone. I just joined this site :) I just bought a new ceramic range(haven't got it delivered yet). The salesman said I could only use stainless steel cookware on it. I see you also can use cast iron. What about any other kind? I hate to get rid of all my old pot's and pans.
Any advice?

I only have 2 stainless steel pots. I use non-stick pots & pans on my ceramic top with no problems. The only thing I remember for sure the sales lady telling me not to use is Visions(glass)cookware because the ceramic top of the stove & the glass of the cookwear will to conduct the heat properly. I didn't have to worry about that since I don't have any Visions cookwear.

I'm gonna revive this topic since I can't find a thread related to ceramic stove tops and the griddle/grill pans. Does anyone use a grill pan on your cook top? This is probably the only thing I could use cast iron for, since it's quick cooking...anyone try the Lodge grill pan on the smooth top stove? Does it really cover both burners? Any T&T/experiences that I can learn from?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom