"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
Master Chef

My mom would put hers in the dishwasher ocassionally. No worse for it.

Note that I am talking about well seasoned pans.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Jennyema and Sparrowgrass are right on. You work to get a great seasoning on a pan, enjoy it. The seasoning is a protective coating that's hard to damage.

I clean my CI with a soapy scrubber sponge (safe for non-stick) and rinse. Then I heat it empty to dry it.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I think if you did a google for 'cast iron cleaning' you would find fifty zillion answers, pretty evenly divided between 'you will suffer the fires of eternal damnation if ever a particle of soap touches your cast iron' and 'meh--wash it, scrub it, whatever, just make it sure it is dry and has a very slight film of oil on it before you put it away'.

I use soap on mine, and a nylon scrubby if necessary. After washing, I put them on the burner until they are hot, and put a teeny bit of oil in the pan, which I spread around with a paper towel.

I think safety is really not an issue--the pan should be hot before you put food in it, generally, and bacteria won't survive. Onion and garlic flavors, however, do survive if you don't scrub the pan. Nothing like a pineapple upside down cake cooked in garlicky cast iron. Ask me how I know!
I would go for this method Living in SA we use cast iron pots all the time and that's what we do to clean them

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I usually use a little soap as well, dry, then spray with oil before putting away.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
Master Chef

P.S If you don't use it for a while just remember to clean out the oil layer, it can go rancid.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Mine doesn't ever go that long. I use it at least every other day. Heating it to soften any grease, and then wiping it clean with a paper towel serves for most maintenance. Washing with very hot water and a plastic scrub brush works for most other cleaning.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Mine doesn't ever go that long. I use it at least every other day. Heating it to soften any grease, and then wiping it clean with a paper towel serves for most maintenance. Washing with very hot water and a plastic scrub brush works for most other cleaning.
I use mine often too. We have a potjie pot that gets used on the grill, that doesn't get used as often though and we ended up with a whole pot full of food that had to get thrown out because we didn't check first
I do the sniff test now since we have lots of cast iron pots and I forget which ones were used last!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
Master Chef

Not only if you Google you'd find a lot of sugetions. If you search here, you'll too will find quite few threads about that very subject.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
Master Chef

I use my CI almost daily. It rarely needs anything more than washing with hot water, and a little soap to remove excess grease or oil. Once in a blue moon I will need to scrub it. Then I use a stiff nylon brush, again with a little soap, mainly to keep the brush from getting gunky. I have even been known to use a stainless steel scrubby when I'd used up a plastic brush, without harming the patina. Just don't do that often as it will eventually remove all of your patina and you will have to re-season your pan. After years of use, like the others here, my CI pans are virtually as stick-free as the best non-stick pans.

Tip, if you use your CI to cook highly spiced, or herb flavored foods, or in use it in a smokey environment, you will need to scrub with soap to bring the pan surface back to a neutral flavor, so as to not impart unwanted flavors in your recipes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Master Chef

Whatever you do, make sure it is dry when you done with it.