"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cast iron cleaning safety?

All the sources I've read say to just wipe a pan out and dry it. Won't this leave a danger of food poisoning the next time you cook?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Executive Chef

the cooking process seems to take care of that. I use hot water and a stiff brush (no soap) if the pan is cruddy, but that is rare.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

You bring up an interesting point, dan.
I have always wondered why it is that we say a wipe is all that is necessary to "clean" CI, but everything else we wash. A glass casserole dish probably has less porosity than CI, but we would never think of simply wiping it out and putting it away.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef

A glass casserole dish normally doesn't reach even one third the working temperature that a C.I. skillet does, which it far above the survival level for any bacteria! They are two different "utensils" used in two different environments.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
All the sources I've read say to just wipe a pan out and dry it. Won't this leave a danger of food poisoning the next time you cook?
If your pan is already well-seasoned it's perfectly fine to use dish soap and hot water. Make sure you dry it completely.

I never ever just wipe it. There's too much gunk in it.

I use hot water and a scrungie or hot water, soap and a scrungie.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
A glass casserole dish normally doesn't reach even one third the working temperature that a C.I. skillet does, which it far above the survival level for any bacteria! They are two different "utensils" used in two different environments.
That was just one example, but it really depends on what you are cooking with each one, doesn't it? Just because you are using a CI pan doesn't mean you are getting it screaming hot.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Head Chef

I think if you did a google for 'cast iron cleaning' you would find fifty zillion answers, pretty evenly divided between 'you will suffer the fires of eternal damnation if ever a particle of soap touches your cast iron' and 'meh--wash it, scrub it, whatever, just make it sure it is dry and has a very slight film of oil on it before you put it away'.

I use soap on mine, and a nylon scrubby if necessary. After washing, I put them on the burner until they are hot, and put a teeny bit of oil in the pan, which I spread around with a paper towel.

I think safety is really not an issue--the pan should be hot before you put food in it, generally, and bacteria won't survive. Onion and garlic flavors, however, do survive if you don't scrub the pan. Nothing like a pineapple upside down cake cooked in garlicky cast iron. Ask me how I know!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I agree with jennyema and sparrowgrass. If you are more comfortable washing your CI pan, by all means, do.
Be sure and dry it well, I use heat to dry mine and a light wipe of oil to keep the rust at bay if I am not going to be home to use the pan for a day or so.
I have some pans that have seen nearly daily use for a century or more. I believe it would take much more than a single washing with soap to remove the seasoning from those pans.
Remember, there isn't much you can do to really damage your cast iron pans short of cracking them or taking a torch to it.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I think if you did a google for 'cast iron cleaning' you would find fifty zillion answers, pretty evenly divided between 'you will suffer the fires of eternal damnation if ever a particle of soap touches your cast iron' and 'meh--wash it, scrub it, whatever, just make it sure it is dry and has a very slight film of oil on it before you put it away'.

I use soap on mine, and a nylon scrubby if necessary. After washing, I put them on the burner until they are hot, and put a teeny bit of oil in the pan, which I spread around with a paper towel.

I think safety is really not an issue--the pan should be hot before you put food in it, generally, and bacteria won't survive. Onion and garlic flavors, however, do survive if you don't scrub the pan. Nothing like a pineapple upside down cake cooked in garlicky cast iron. Ask me how I know!

Exactly!!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Master Chef

For a cooking utensil that has changed so little in over 100 years, I would think that if there were a big problem with bacteria, we would have heard about it. There are many food safety recommendations now that our grandmothers would scoff at! So I think you can be pretty comfortable with the CI pan since that hasn't changed in over 100 years.

I do use a bit of soap on my pans along with using the yellow sponge with green scrubber side to get off the stuck gunk. Never had a problem.