Cast iron Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper226

Assistant Cook
I’ve been checking out cast iron cookware. Le Creuset seems to be “the brand” to purchase but have been checking out some other less expensive brands. They don’t appear to really be any different. Is there any quality or longevity difference? Could someone please enlighten me or offer suggestions?:ermm:

I have a Griswold that is 75 years old at best estimate. My other pans are Lodge which is made in the US. I had never heard of Le Creuset but having looked at their site I can guarantee I'd never buy one. The fancy colors? Why? Cast iron is just that, cast iron, no fancy colors, not enamel coating. Give me simple forged CI and no fancy colors and unnecessary coating and I know it will last through my grandchildren's lifetimes. I'm sorry but what I saw there can't even be considered cast iron in my family.

LeCrueset is enamel coated cast iron. Are you looking at this type only or are you also considering plain cast iron?

LeCrueset is the best available enameled CI. There are several other brands on the market right now, including celebrity chef lines. I can't speak to their quality.

As far as plain CI, Lodge is the best stuff available new. Some folks search flea markets and eBay for older brands no longer manufactured.

I have a kitchen full of cast iron, both plain cast iron and enamel-coated cast iron...LeCreuset to be specific. I wouldn't be without any of my pieces for a variety of reasons.

The plain cast iron has its place in cooking, but so does the enamel-coated ware. I especially appreciate my LeCreuset cookware when I have to make dishes that require ingredients that are high in acid content. This is not something you would wish to do in your properly seasoned regular cast iron.

We've used our plain cast iron many times while cooking over a campfire. Wouldn't do that with any enamel-coated cookware, but it would probably fare just fine. It's just a cosmetic thing with me.

Whatever you choose, cast iron is great for retaining heat. Do your homework and enjoy your choice(s).

I bought a mix of skillets and pans, 5 in all, from the Bayou Classic range and was amazed at how good was the quality of the cast iron; it was really special. Everything needed seasoning and that went okay. It seems that there really is a huge difference in the quality of cast iron that you can get from different firms and it doesn't always come down to price. I found the prices I paid were really competitive at the 'Outdoor Cooking Equipment Store' and when I compared them with local store prices and the quality I found there I was really glad I bought on line.

I've looked at the LeCreuset cookware and it does look nice [am I simply taken by thinking that because its expensive its good?] This said it seems to me that unless you're into the special areas of cooking where there is a high acid content its just as well to stick to good quality basic cast iron cookware; and anyway does it really matter if you have to re-season, its hardly the hardest of life's culinary hurdles to jump; and bearing in mind seasoning builds over the years you've got to keep on top of it any way.

Le Creuset cookware:

Thanks for all of the replies!

The other day my wife and I were checking out a cooking store near her parent's place. The owner could tell that we were interested in the Le Creuset pot and sold us the 5.3 L (5 1/2 US qt.) 26 cm (10 1/4 "). She is switching to the Staub line. These are easier for her to acquire as the location is closer for her. All her Le Creuset cookware will be going!

We got home last night and washed it out today so it's all ready to go. We'll give it a go as soon as we can. :)

Back
Top Bottom