Cast iron dishwasher safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imesbah

Assistant Cook
Dear friends,

I am to know the impact of using various dishwashers on my cast iron cookware set. I am planning to buy a new one. But cleaning is going to be a very important matter.I like to use it safely. This is why I am seeking your help. This is my first post. Hope to be helped.:yum:

Never heard of putting cast iron, even enameled CI in the dishwasher. For seasoned CI, you would have to re-season after every wash. Plus you may end up with rust.:(

Never put it in the dish washer. It will ruin a season that is years old. I just scrape down and wipe out my cast iron pan. Once in a while I'll give it a hand wash.

If you are talking about plain, raw cast iron that has to be seasoned then, no, do not clean it in the dishwasher. It will remove the seasoning and you'll be back to square one. I have a skillet that it easily 100 years old and I suspect the seasoning is close to that age. It's nearly like the finest Teflon on the market.

Not plain old cast iron but enamel-coated cast iron instead...not sure I'd put that in the dishwasher either. You'd have to check with the manufacturer's recommendations. My gut says, "No."

Looks like soaking and good old elbow grease will be your best options.

Back
Top Bottom