"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 06-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
a cast iron grill pan is great...add a cast iron bacon press and you have a panini pan for lots less money than a specified set. Ventilation a must. THe benefit of the electric appliance would be less smoke and heat from both top and bottom at the same time (which you can approximate with the bacon press if you preheat it.
I have one of those cast iron bacon press and do use it for making panini sandwiches. I like it better than using a foil covered brick.

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 AM   #12
Great information everyone, thanks.

I think I will look into a splatter screen. I've never heard of that before but when I looked it up I wished I'd know about it years ago. I also like the bacon press, I think I'll get one of those too.

Now if I can only get to the store. I've been trying to go for days. All this bad weather here is crazy. Almost had a tornado here today (Wednesday), parts of the area lost power and then it stormed for hours. Tomorrow is expected to be just as lovely. *rolls eyes*

lbb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #13
Senior Cook
I don't have a CI grill pan but I do have a Calphalon hard anodized and an Anolon hard anodized with nonstick cooking surface plus a De'Longhi electric grill and much prefer using the De'Longhi.

It heats rapidly and I really like that it has a lid. It's also great great for slow cooking baby back ribs and other things that you you want to BBQ slowly.

De'Longhi Perfecto Indoor Grill - Grills & Griddles Electrics - Kitchen - Macy's
Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Head Chef
I've posted this before, but my bacon press is the bottom side of the square skillet. It is just the right size for the double burner griddle, holds the heat in, and eliminates one item in my overcrowded kitchen.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Cast iron is great to because of the high temperatures it can really sear the meat and lock in the the flavor.

Iron Mike is offline   Reply With Quote