"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Sous Chef
I agree with Jeekinz that it's not as effective as the good ol' outdoors, but it does leave nice hatch marks, and is a passable substitute.

Try cleaning up the burnt bits with the foreman grill cleaning tool, or Pampered Chef sells a plastic pan scraper-disc. I'm sure you can get that at any kitchen retail store. It is gentler than a metal spoon, but still tough.

JillBurgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I have a big Calphalon ss grill pan and it works very well in the sense that it leaves the lovely grill marks. When I'm aiming to impress, I use it. But pan sauteeing or pan searing in a regular ss pan produces the same yummy steak and the pan is easier to clean.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Sous Chef
I have a square one

Same problem. Even when cooking bacon.
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
Head Chef
I used to be a grill fan, but now cook steaks, etc by searing in a very hot (smoking) cast iron skillet then pour the oil out and finish in the oven. Many steak houses do it this way. I have a Lodge double burner reversible grill, which I use daily for breakfast, never have used the grill side, anticipating the problems you encountered. Use the double burner grille with a 10 inch square Lodge skillet for a bacon press. Holds the heat, keeps it flat, cooks evenly. The best ever bacon.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Well folks, after using the pan to grill more things such as steaks, burgers, chops, and chicken breasts WITHOUT zesty italian marinade, the pan is working great. The only thing I'm not entirely fond of (pun intended) is having to trade quick cooking for beautiful grill marks! Here's a trick I've been using lately. Instead of finishing thicker cuts in the oven, I've been putting the lid from my 7 1/4 qt. D.O. on the grill pan to speed cooking, usually after grilling for awhile. It fits absolutely perfect!

Anyone ever try this?

eatsOats is offline   Reply With Quote