"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cast Iron Grill Pans for Stove Top

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to put this. It's a cross between a grilling question and a cookware question.

I love my outdoor grill now that I've gotten the hang of it, but in NC the weather can be very unpredictable and there have been days where my dinner plans were rained out and we ended up with alternative dinners.

So now I'm wondering about the stove top grill pans I've seen. THe ones that either cover one or two burners. Are they as good as they look when Emeril or other Food Network cooks use them? Do they work well as a substitute? Will they work with an electric stove (the label says they do, but I want to know from real world cooks)?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I have a couple of ridged grill pans made by le Creuset. They put really good 'char' marks on steaks, chops and salmon. I recommend them.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I think Emeril always uses gas (that's all I've seen on both shows) grills, not grill pans. I know Rachael Ray uses a grill pan on 30 Minute Meals, but that is heated by gas burners.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I think Emeril always uses gas (that's all I've seen on both shows) grills, not grill pans. I know Rachael Ray uses a grill pan on 30 Minute Meals, but that is heated by gas burners.
I wish I had gas burners. Unfortunately, I rent and have not had gas in over a decade. Apparently electric is easier for landlords to maintain or something. They do have a single burner size, but that would mean eating in shifts which I am tired of doing. If I want to eat in shifts I can just use my George Forman ~ NOT!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Head Chef

We have a Calphalon grill pan and I love it. I can fit 4 hamburgers on it and while we have gas now, we had electric when we first got it. It works well for searing steaks and doing chicken as well. My mom has a double burner pan that we use for pancakes and it also works well. For meat, though, I can only fit 6 on her pan so it doesn't seem that much of a better deal to me.

As far as cast iron versus other materials, it comes to personal preference. I love my cast iron skillet but I REALLY love my Calphalon. I think as long as you take care of it, any stove top grill pan would work for anyone.

Good Luck!

PS ... rentals generally have electric everything for safety reasons. You can't blow up your house or die of asphyxiation with electric. Also, it costs them less if they are stuck with unpaid renter bills.

(edited to add ps ...)
Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have a 12" CI grill-pan and like it quite a bit. Plagued by the same stove type as you, I too, cook on an electric range. It gets plenty hot and lends itself to wonderful gril marks.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Three years ago, my S.O. insisted we needed a two-burner cast iron grill. So I bought a Lodge two burner grill from my loacal Le Gourmet Chef store, brought it home, properly seasoned it, and stuck it in the bottom of my oven for safekeeping. It is STILL sitting there!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have a 12-inch round Cuisinart hard anodized grill ppan...ridged. I used it allthe time before I got my JennAir PorStyle range with the grill on it.... I live on the 5th floor... no outdoor grilling for me, at least not on any regular basis.

I don't know how many people you are talking about feeing, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second one of these. They make great grill marks, cook evenly, and clean like a breeze.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I have a Lodge cast iron which fits over two gas burners. It works very well.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I use my grill pan (which covers two burners) on my electric stove, does very well -just no bbq flavor--