"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Olive oil is no good for seasoning. I restore antique skillets, I only season with Crisco.
If you scrub a pan down to bare iron it will flash rust right away. I dry them thoroughly then put them in a pre heated oven to really get all the pores dry.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Also don't take "non stick" too literally. You still need a little oil for most foods. It takes years for cast iron to get really seasoned. Eventually you wont see or feel the grain of the iron inside the skillet. Cooking high fat foods helps the process.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

thanks everyone for the help...i just seasoned it a few times and kept cooking with it, it looks good now
Old 05-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Good for you, gus. Just keep using it and it will turn into your "go to" pan for many things. Over time, it will turn into an almost Teflon-like pan. You'll love it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Cook

The best way to season a cast iron pan is to bake bacon in it three or four times before using it for anything else. Put six strips in, bake it at 350 until the bacon is done. If your stove sits level you may not even need to turn the bacon.

This seasons the pan without developing the burned hot spot in the middle of the pan where the range burner will invariably dry it out - especially if you fry lean meats in it and put said lean proteins in the middle of the pan - they suck the seasoning right out of it.

Always start with a low flame when sauteeing/frying on the range. Don't nuke the middle of the pan and keep very lean proteins off the middle of the pan and you will be able to avoid the dry/rusted looking spot that you most certainly will get if you do otherwise.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Good for you, gus. Just keep using it and it will turn into your "go to" pan for many things. Over time, it will turn into an almost Teflon-like pan. You'll love it.
Katie, thirty years ago I'd have laughed at that statement. I rememeber the years of abuse my dear mom gave that poor black skillet. Caked and burned spots. SOS, Brillo, and wire brushes scoured and etched it for life. I didn't really know the greatness of my skillet until about ten years ago. I bake many things in it and simply wipe it clean. A little oil on wax paper and back in the cupboard. When I bake beans in it at 400, for an hour and half, I simply soak it for thirty minutes and use dishwashing liquid, warm water, and a nylon Tuffy. No steel scrubbing in my pans. For me, you have to have an iron skillet to be complete. An iron skillet is the American wok.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I love my cast iron. I've got three kettles, a 14 inch, two 12's, a 9, and am on the lookout for a Dutch oven.

I season it the old fashioned way - small bonfire in the back, heavy coat of Crisco (about the only thing I use Crisco for) and right into the fire it goes.

By the time that fire burns down and the pan has cooled enough to handle with a cheap kitchen mitt, she's done.

And no, no harsh detergents in my cast iron, and no scrubbing, either. Scrape out as much food as possible, then a quick once-over with a sponge and some Palmolive, then back into the oven to dry.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Get the dutch oven. You won't eat a pot roast any other way.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Get the dutch oven. You won't eat a pot roast any other way.
I already do pot roast in my 3qt kettles. Love it.

I want a Dutch oven for campfire cooking.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I have castiron in use for thirty years ,plus antique deep chicken frier ( along with very many other pots & pans ) and de buyer heavy cardon steel . If you are doing your clean up properly , think about this, when you heat your pan and add oil ( peanut oil for searing ) you have a sterile surface,so unless it will hurt you don't worry over it . the best cast iron has built up a nonstick surface because oils have bit by bit left black polymers behind , filling in the surface pours. if you have braised in it and the suface looks dull grey you may want to reseason ,but otherwise you are just going to get sore arms from scrubbing. If I have something stuck after cooking I add water and boil it just like deglasing , if you have to at this time grab a stainless scrubby with you tongs and scrub it out. extra virgin olive oil shouldn't be overheated as it has a low smoke point . Regards Gage