Cast Iron Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi I have a cousances fryingpan which I need to season it has a wooden handle can I just season on the hob? or do I need to remove the handle? help.
penny

I'd think you need to remove the wood handle. Or just season the old fashioned way, cook lots of fatty foods at first and take years to make it perfect. I doubt my grandmother fooled around with seasoning methods, just bacon, sausage and lots of time.

Hi I have a cousances fryingpan which I need to season it has a wooden handle can I just season on the hob? or do I need to remove the handle? help.
penny

If you leave the wood handle on, it will darken in the oven. Mine was a blonde oak color and turned a deep mahogany color after seasoning in the oven at 350 F.

If you leave the wood handle on, it will darken in the oven. Mine was a blonde oak color and turned a deep mahogany color after seasoning in the oven at 350 F.

Andy, do you feel the time in the oven dried out the wood or degraded the finish, if any?

seasoning

HI thanks for that I think I will put it in the oven if it only darkens the handle, I will have to wait until we light the rayburn though as it wont fit in the remoska oven I use in summer.
penny

Andy, do you feel the time in the oven dried out the wood or degraded the finish, if any?

I did this to my wok several years ago and it does not seem to have effected the finish other than darkening it. Your results may vary.

Back
Top Bottom