"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cast Iron Newbie

Hi

I just started cooking with a preseasoned cast iron pan i bought from Lodge. I put EVOO in it and cooked in oven for about 1 hour at 350 degrees. I then cooked pork chops in it and cleaned with hot water and salt.

Then tonight I cooked 2 burgers and a hot dog in it. I put hot water in it again to clean and then I saw these spots on it wasn't sure what it was. I washed and washed didnt go away. I then washed with dish soap and put more EVOO on it and baked in oven for 1 hour at 450. Now it looks browner. Could this be rust? I didnt let it sit in water for more then 5 minutes? Did I ruin the pan already? Please help on what I can do to fix this and how I should properly season the pan.

See the pic of the pan below...it doesnt actually look that brown that is just from the flash on the cam but it is brown

Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
Hi

I just started cooking with a preseasoned cast iron pan i bought from Lodge. I put EVOO in it and cooked in oven for about 1 hour at 350 degrees. I then cooked pork chops in it and cleaned with hot water and salt.

Then tonight I cooked 2 burgers and a hot dog in it. I put hot water in it again to clean and then I saw these spots on it wasn't sure what it was. I washed and washed didnt go away. I then washed with dish soap and put more EVOO on it and baked in oven for 1 hour at 450. Now it looks browner. Could this be rust? I didnt let it sit in water for more then 5 minutes? Did I ruin the pan already? Please help on what I can do to fix this and how I should properly season the pan.

See the pic of the pan below...it doesnt actually look that brown that is just from the flash on the cam but it is brown

Since I am a new memeber I can't post a URL so copy and past the link below after http:// to view the pic of the pot

picasaweb.google.com/ed.guss/Random#5320679316435316386
Gus, you didn't ruin the pan but the red parts are rust. Scrub the rust off the pan with something abrasive and then rinse it and DRY it and oil it and then heat it to season it. It will be fine.~Bliss

Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

How much time lapsed between cooking the pork chops, and the burgers/hotdog? One day? A week??? After cooking the pork chops and washing...you did dry it right?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I cooked the burgers/hot dogs the following day after cooking pork chops

After cleaning following pork chops I did dry it and also put it on the stove for about 5 mins to make sure it was dry
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

It's hard to tell from the picture, but if it was only one day later, and you dried the pan as described then my guess is it's not rust...It may be burned on/baked on food residue due to improper/incomplete cleaning...At this point it really doesn't matter...Be as aggressive as it takes to clean the pan... using SOS pads, or whatever to really get it clean....Then re-season...A light coating of Crisco or oil... Then upside down In a 350*375* oven for an hour or more...Turn the oven off...Let it cool...Do this three times!!! Then use your pan for whatever...After each use the pan must be cleaned....be as aggressive as you need to be to clean it properly...Up to and including a plastic scrubby thingy..an SOS pad and even a little soapy water..Rinse well......Sometimes soaking in plain water will help lift stuck on foods off...In time your pan will become non-stick and easier to clean....HTH

Enjoy...Have Fun!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
It's hard to tell from the picture, but if it was only one day later, and you dried the pan as described then my guess is it's not rust...It may be burned on/baked on food residue due to improper/incomplete cleaning...At this point it really doesn't matter...Be as aggressive as it takes to clean the pan... using SOS pads, or whatever to really get it clean....Then re-season...A light coating of Crisco or oil... Then upside down In a 350*375* oven for an hour or more...Turn the oven off...Let it cool...Do this three times!!! Then use your pan for whatever...After each use the pan must be cleaned....be as aggressive as you need to be to clean it properly...Up to and including a plastic scrubby thingy..an SOS pad and even a little soapy water..Rinse well......Sometimes soaking in plain water will help lift stuck on foods off...In time your pan will become non-stick and easier to clean....HTH

Enjoy...Have Fun!
Thanks for the advice...do I need to reseason it again following your steps after each time i use it and clean it? i heard scrubbing and dishwasher soap takes the seasoning off...
Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

ok i throughly scrubbed the pan with brillo pad, a doubie pad, soupy water, for a long time....still the copper shaded spots are there still...

i am frustrated and clueless at this point
Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for the advice...do I need to reseason it again following your steps after each time i use it and clean it? i heard scrubbing and dishwasher soap takes the seasoning off...
No... the steps I gave you..are just for the initial seasoning after the heavy cleaning process to remove the discoloration in the picture... After each use the pan needs to be cleaned thoroughly...and dried well...You can rub on a thin coat of oil if ya wanna...especially if the pan will not be used in the near future...Seasoning on cast iron builds up over time...months...years... decades... In the beginning early stages of seasoning ( this is where you are) hard scrubbing and harsh soaps will degrade the very thin seasoning layer somewhat...Later when the seasoning has built up more, then scrubbing (when needed) and a swish around the inside with a soapy (Dawn) wash cloth will not hurt the pan. Just rinse and dry well....

Old 04-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
ok i throughly scrubbed the pan with brillo pad, a doubie pad, soupy water, for a long time....still the copper shaded spots are there still...

i am frustrated and clueless at this point
Sorry to hear of your problem...I must admit...I am somewhat clueless myself..If it was "flash" rust the Brillo pad should have taken care of it...If it was cooked/baked on foods etc...Maybe -- Maybe not...Continue to scrub...concentrate on the stubborn spots a couple more times....If the discoloration still persist...then call Lodge Customer Service on Monday Morning...describe to them exactly what you did...They are a customer service oriented company and will solve your problem to your satisfaction...
HTH

Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Senior Cook

When re-seasoning after the pan is cleaned I wouldn't use Olive Oil -
I would go for Peanut or Canola.
Americas test Kitchen cleaned a badly neglected cast iron pan by
heating an inch of oil in the pan and then adding a lot of coarse salt till a paste was formed and then (off heat) scrubbing away.