Cast iron pot is smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
robt, can you explain in as much detail as possible how you've seasoned your pans? i have an old pan, estimating 50 years plus, and i'm curious as to how to get that old style season.

buckytom said:
robt, can you explain in as much detail as possible how you've seasoned your pans? i have an old pan, estimating 50 years plus, and i'm curious as to how to get that old style season.

Part of it, or the majority of it comes comes from constantly frying things in them, such as bacon, salt pork, chops, chicken, hamburgers, steaks, etc..:chef:

"Bake" them in the oven every now & then also. When frying something that doesn't stick, like chicken or fried eggs, I usually just wipe the pan with a piece of paper towel, leaving the greasy coating behind for the sake of not having to season it so much. As long as there is no stuck-on food residue in the pan, I skip washings it as much just to take advantage of the grease that's already in it.:chef:

Then I oil it between washings. And BTW, I got a pan now that needs to be broken in. Haven't used it yet and it's still new.:ermm:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Good news!; That pan was already preseasoned. And I just ordered a Lodge preseasoned 5-qt Dutch Oven w cover from Cooking.com!:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom