"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cast Iron Seasoning Question

Okay, so when I originally got my CI I seasoned it with vegetable oil and it started getting gunky when I used it on the stove (the under part). So I took the advice I read here and stuck all my CI in a 550 oven for an hour and this set ~ 3 pieces ~ for an hour and a half. They came out clean and pristine like the day I bought them. So now I have to season them with Crisco this time now that all the veggie oil has burned off. So my question is, do you season the whole thing? Bottom, handle, inside, or do you just season the inside. It was the bottom that got gunky and that happened just sitting in the cupboard.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Season the whole pan. Inside and out. Handles and all. Anything left unseasoned will rust.

Spread a THIN coating of Crisco all over and place it into a 350F oven upside down so excess fat can run off. Place a cookie sheet or HD foil to catch any drippings. Bake for at least an hour then shut off the oven and let the pans cool in the oven.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks Andy, it's going to be a long night; I have 5 pans to do.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Okay Andy, why are there stick spots? I just baked them to get the sticky stuff off then followed your method and there are now different sticky spots.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Master Chef

Rub the sticky stuff off with a scrubbie and hot water, dry thoroughly and either season again or just start frying bacon in it a lot.

CAst Iron isn't instantly seasoned. It's a process that takes months/years.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

When the Crisco melts, excess will sometimes collect in a low spot or near a rim and the baking process isn't enough to dry it out. When seasoning, you could open the oven after a while and blot up excess fat with a paper towel.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Thanks. I added some Crisco to the sticky parts and it seems to have helped. It's still better than the gunky stuff that was on there from the fermenting veggie oil.