"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
The first time I ate cornbread cooked in my one of my CI skillets was 67 years ago at my grandmas. If mine show up at my estate sale at 2 for ten bucks. I'm coming back and selling my kids at a yard sale at 2 for ten bucks.
LOL!

My favorite pot is my CI dutch oven that came from my step-grandmothers kitchen. I am so glad my mom had the though to grab it befor they turned over the contents of the house to the estate sale people. It is beautiful and barely needed to be seasoned after pobably a decade of disuse. It has never made a bad dish and nothing has ever stuck to it.

My Griswolds are things of beauty too but those I bought on ebay.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #32
Head Chef

I have some Griswolds and Wagners, and skillet simply market SK. I don't know if this is a brand name or a skillet designation. All are well seasoned, and I would not trade them for a truckload of new Lodge.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #33
Head Chef

So I have had these cast iron skillets for months now and haven't used them yet. They were given to me and are seasoned. My question is if I cook in them do I wash them in soap and water after?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I generally use kosher salt... you can use a little soap if you feel you must, rinse then let dry over low flame and wipe lightly with oil before storing

If your seasoning is good cleanup should be easy if your find yourself scrubbing then you should re season
Old 12-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #35
Head Chef

but water is okay?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Water is absolutely OK. You just need to make sure to dry it completely otherwise it will rust. Some people do this by putting it back on a burner for a few minutes after they towel dry it.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #37
Sous Chef

I have a Wagner-Griswold 9" chef skillet sitting on a back burner of my stove. I leave it out unless it will be in the way. It is well-seasoned, and I use it for frying. Eggs, omelets, that kind of frying. I use a small amount of raw coconut oil to fry, and the pan is totally non-stick. When I'm done using it, I wipe it clean with a paper towel, and put it on the back burner. I clean my black steel pans the same way, except for my searing pan, which I occasionally scrape a bit with a spatula.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I would LOVE a cast-iron skillet but my problem is, I can't pick them up! Help!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #39
Sous Chef

read back through this thread! Lots of opinions... you will see Griswold Wagner Lodge mentioned over and over ...
Old 12-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #40
Master Chef

I have some of all three, Griswold, Wagner, and Lodge. My favorite is the Griswold as it is lighter weight (thinner metal than the other two) and has a smooth inner finish. But all of my pans are well seasoned and, for all practical purposes, non-stick. After using for a few years, the seasoning becomes practically indestructable. In fact, I have accidentally left a pan or two in water for an extended time (something about leaving it on the grill and placing the lid on and forgetting about it) and was surprised that there was no rust. Also, I can now use them to make acidic sauces such as tomato, or vinegar-based sweet and sour, without picking up a metallic taste component. If you use them right, and care for them reasonably, cast iron pans can be the best investment you ever made in cookware. If you are even more careful than me, then they will be even better than my pans are, and mine work wonderfully well. The only downside to my well-used Lodge pans are the weight. However, I have recently seen Lodge pans made from thinner metal that look like they would be very good pans. I may have to purchase one and check it out.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote