"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Master Chef

Everyone has covered just about everything, except...

I have a CI dutch oven and seasoned it as I season my pans. This dutch oven has a cast-iron lid. Though I rubbed it with oil before covering a pot of something cooking (I don't remember what I was making at the time) the steam that condensed on the inside lid surface caused the lid to rust, and in a very short period of time. The rusty water further condensed and dripped into the food, ruining my dish. Make sure that if you have a cast-iron lit that goes with your cast-iron pan, season it the same way you do your pan. Then when you cook with it, you won't get rusty water dripping into your food.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I never would have thought about the lid! Thanks. None of the stores around here seem to carry the lodge lids. I've only seen them on the internet. If I ever do get one, I will be sure to season it and keep it dry. I bought my pan at Sears. I am going to do the oven seasoning tonight if all goes well. I got some crisco today (didn't know it was trans-fat free now!) and I think I have all in readiness.
I'm not sure how well the CI is going to work for me in the long-run, though.
I eat pretty lean. The only meat I cook is buffalo. I was hoping to use the pan for fish, eggs, vegetables with only a few TBs of canola to cook. I never really fry chicken, steak, pancakes. I would cook bacon just to get it greasy, seems like a good idea... I guess time will tell if it works out for me.

thanks again.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Oh, BTW: Should I preheat the oven to 350 or just put the pan in at the beginning and heat it with the oven?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley View Post
Oh, BTW: Should I preheat the oven to 350 or just put the pan in at the beginning and heat it with the oven?
Preheat the oven ---- Skillets don't come with lids ---- Baking cornbread or biscuits helps with seasoning...If you eat cornbread and biscuits.

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Once the pan is well seasoned it will be great for your buffalo, fish, eggs, and veggies. When you have a good seasoning going the pan is basically like a non stick teflon type pan.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
Head Chef

If I did not eat bacon, I would get a can of lard, add a small amount to the pan, heat till just smoking, and turn off the stove. Same result, far cheaper. I have a few all purpose lids in varying sizes which I use when I want to cover a skillet. These will fit a variety of sizes of pans. No danger of rust. You'll love your CI for searing meat. Absolutely the best for high heat cooking.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Master Chef

UncleBob;

You are another of those knowledgeable guys that I almost never disagree with. However, depending on whether you purchase your CI skillets separately, or in sets, and even where you buy them, Lodge Cast-iron skillets can be had with lids. Usually, the lids for the dutch oven and skillets is domed, with large, pyramid-shaped protrusions that act to condense steam and allow it to drip back onto the food, to retain flavor that would otherwise be lost to the air. Please see the following URL for examples of skillets that can be purchased with lids.

Lodge Cast Iron Fryers, Skillets, Skillet Lids, Wok

There are other sites where cast iron can be purchased with lids. When I was newly married, many moons ago, I had a set of CI pans that all had lids with them. They weren't Lodge brand, but were of good quality. Being a newbie with CI, I disgarded them when the lids rusted while in use. If I had properly seasoned the lids, I would still be using them today. That's why I posted earlier.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Okay, it is seasoning at 375ish while we speak...
I hope I used enough crisco. I fully covered it, but really wiped off any excess. It was just shiny when it went in. I figured any excess would just drip off anyway.
I wiped some on with a paper towel, then rubbed the pan with a cloth towel - does this sound right?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
If I did not eat bacon, I would get a can of lard, add a small amount to the pan, heat till just smoking, and turn off the stove. Same result, far cheaper. I have a few all purpose lids in varying sizes which I use when I want to cover a skillet. These will fit a variety of sizes of pans. No danger of rust. You'll love your CI for searing meat. Absolutely the best for high heat cooking.
I really like the lard idea. I will look for it at Giant tomorrow - not sure if they will carry it. So, it comes in a can? Is it a shelf-stable item like crisco or refrigerated like butter. If they don't have it, I will pick up a $2 lb of bacon. I think I have messed up the seasoning by not putting on enough grease - there is no dripping or smoking. Nada, nothing.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #20
Head Chef

You really can't mess up the seasoning. Worst case is that you have to do it over, usually not the case. Lard is what my grandmother, and yours, used. Lard is usually available in many stores. Lard is rendered animal fat. Crisco is vegetable. Either will work fine. IMO the best seasoning is using the pan.