"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I'm not a fan of salt for cleaning cast iron. Yes, it's abrasive, but it's also highly reactive and rusting agent. My brother is a fan of that method. I'm happier with a plastic putty knife and a teflon-safe scrubby. But my seasoning is getting to the point now that's only a problem with one specialty use pan.

thymeless

Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless
Well, all food is acidic (baking soda and egg whites being the two common exceptions). Some just more than others. Here's a chart of foods and their pH. http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp65.htm The lower the number, the more acidic it is.

A bunch of those foods are not acidic at all -- they are alkaline.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #23
Head Chef

Cast Iron pots and pans are great and using oil in them so things won't stick to the pan is the thing to do.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Re: acid / alkaline foods:

Here's the U.S. FDA site on the topic:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

I took a quick look and saw very few foods with a pH above 7. I had always assumed that almost every food was at least somewhat acidic - and that those foods with a pH below 4.6 were used for preserving....but I'm far from being a food scientist....don't even own a pocket protector.

Oh, incidentally, I have checked with Lodge about the salt cleaning....they had no problem with it. I usually wipe the pan down with a damp cloth then add a bit of oil once it's clean, so I wouldn't imagine salt accumulation / rust would be an issue....but at the end of the day, it's as much art as science I guess. Go with what works for you.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
A bunch of those foods are not acidic at all -- they are alkaline.
I think you're confusing the health view of what foods acidize and alkilinize the body. In that view, it's what they percieve as the effect incorporating that food into body has upon the body. That is not related to the pH of the food itself in that view.

Because yes, all those foods are acidic.

thymeless
Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
I think you're confusing the health view of what foods acidize and alkilinize the body. In that view, it's what they percieve as the effect incorporating that food into body has upon the body. That is not related to the pH of the food itself in that view.

Because yes, all those foods are acidic.

thymeless
Then why provide a pH chart to prove your point? A chart that shows some of those foods have a pH above 7?

And ... I frankly don't understand your point, sorry.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Neutral is at 7.

The food list I linked shows all but a few items below that value.

My point is that to say "don't cook acidic foods in cast iron" is imprecise and unhelpful as most food is acidic. Yet it cooks just fine in cast iron.

There is a health perspective that views alkalinity and acidity in a way that contradicts the common usage of the terms. I brought that up because I thought that was the view with which some were coming to the discussion.

thymeless
Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #28
Master Chef

You claim that "all food is acidic" and linked a chart that shows that some foods have a pH of 7 or above which seems to directly contradict your claim.

Admittedly, most are 7 or below, but not "all" of them are. HH's FDA chart shows at least 20 of the foods listed to have pHs of 7 or above.

I'm in total agreement with you on the issue of cooking acidic foods in cast iron.

But I still don't understand "There is a health perspective that views alkalinity and acidity in a way that contradicts the common usage of the terms."

And I still don't know what you thought I was "confusing" earlier.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #29
Senior Cook

a quick google pulls up this:

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/salivaphtest.htm

The goal is to "de-acidify" the body to prevent illness. I don't accept that view of health and eating BTW.

When I said "all", I also gave two counter examples right off to show that alkaline foods do occur, but are few compared to the acidic foods.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
a quick google pulls up this:

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/salivaphtest.htm

The goal is to "de-acidify" the body to prevent illness. I don't accept that view of health and eating BTW.

When I said "all", I also gave two counter examples right off to show that alkaline foods do occur, but are few compared to the acidic foods.
Hmmmmm.... I am not sure what I think of that site, but I did get a that they say eggs are "highly acidic!" Also not sure what the notion of "de-acidifying" your body has to do with the simple chemistry of which foods react to cast iron.

My only point is that you did say that all food is acidic, some just more than others and "(b)ecause yes, all those foods (on your linked list) are acidic," when in fact they aren't. IMO it's important to keep the facts straight.

So I guess we should call it quits and agree that while most foods are acidic to some degree, not all are.

All this talk has made me decide to make my garlic chicken with white wine in my CI skillet for dinner tomorrow!