"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 10-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by thymeless
I'm not a fan of salt for cleaning cast iron. Yes, it's abrasive, but it's also highly reactive and rusting agent. My brother is a fan of that method. I'm happier with a plastic putty knife and a teflon-safe scrubby. But my seasoning is getting to the point now that's only a problem with one specialty use pan.

Salt is not a problem if it is rinsed off. you don't leave it on.

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #32
Senior Cook
I understand that. I'd just rather keep it away. Matter of preference.

thymeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #33
Assistant Cook
Anyone have access to a list or codes of the DESCOWARE Cast Iron line? I am in need of matching missing lids. I don't know what the codes mean. Is there a list of all the items they made anywhere?

sugarx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #34
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by HickoryHacker View Post
Something I haven't seen mentioned is the technique of using kosher salt and a bit of oil to clean your cast iron. It's an abrasive of sorts, and does a great job of sopping up / scraping off whatever bits o' stuff are stuck to the cast iron. The only time I will use soap on cast iron is when I'm planning to re-season the pan.

Whenever I get a pan that is really, really crudded up I either put it in the BBQ grill (heat cranked all the way up) or spray it with oven cleaner and use a soft wire brush (bronze) to clean it up. I've used this to restore very very old pans with no problems.

Oh - and I don't use the cast iron for any tomato-based dishes. I've also heard that the acidity will cause some icky flavors (or metals!) to leach into the food.
Real soap (as opposed to detergent) should be quite alkaline considering it's made from lye and fat. Real soap is not a particularly effective degreasing agent.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #35
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Once your skillet is decently seasoned don't be too afraid to your soap and hot water when you need it.

They key is to rinse well and DRY completely.

Veg oil usually leaves a sticky film, which is why I like to use crisco.
My father's skillet is 40 years old with 40 years worth of seasoning and he's shoot me dead if I got soap near it.

My dad's pan is also 100% non-stick. He can cook anything in that and nothing sticks to the bottom.

I really want my dad's pan.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #36
Assistant Cook
This a great thread, I'm off to season pans!
Thanks everyone for great tips and links.

pontalba is offline   Reply With Quote