"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef

you are looking for tri ply (three ply) solid construction...the thickness of the metal continues up the pan sides ... in this case SS exterior, Aluminum in the middle , and SS interior. Aluminum is a good heat conductor.

Stores like Le Gourmet Chef and Kitchen COnnection have their house brands of tri ply cookware or clad cookware, made in China, that is much cheaper than All CLad, but built on the same priciples and really decent stuff.

K MArt sells Martha Stewart Everyday clad cookware, copper outside, aluminum middle, and stainless inside. Very nice and also much less than the comperable All Clad.

shop around

Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I own two cast iron Dutch ovens, but they are not leCruset.

One is a 4-qt. enameled Innovation with a non-stick interior and the other is a 5-qt. Lodge.

Also, a SS Emerilware 6-qt. stockpot that came with the set.

~Corey123.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
Cook

Corey123,

How is the enamel holding up on the Innovation brand, and what do you think of the brand overall??
Old 03-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

I have a stainless steel one but tend to only use it for large batches of boiling potatoes...........probably because mom used it for that.

As for enameled cast iron. I have 2 collectable versions. The first is a yellow Descoware Oval Dutch and I love it and the other is an olive green Denmark. The only problems I've ever had is having the heat up a little too high and not stirring frequently enough......thus causing some burning of the dish on the bottom of the pan. Believe me after doing this a few times and having to clean the pan will be all the punishment you need and you won't be doing it again. But seriously I love my enameled cast iron and would highly recommend it.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Staub and Le Creuset are top of the line and you'll never regret it. Shop at Caplan Duval for good prices on LC. On amazon.com take a look at the Innova enamel cast iron. I have one (7qt.) and have loved it. Also have LC ovens. The Innova is something like $50 for a 7qt.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary b
Corey123,

How is the enamel holding up on the Innovation brand, and what do you think of the brand overall??

It seems to be holding up pretty well. Had it for about two years now.
Or was it three?

It's very heavy.

I've made just about everything in it from pot roast, to spaghetti sauce, to marinara, to beef stew. It cooks well and holds heat for a long time, which makes it very effidient.

~Corey123.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Your SS ... is it disc bottom or clad (thick metal all up the sides) If it is disc bottom, the cast iron will surely outcook it. If it is clad, you will notice certain differences but less drastic. Still, it's worth the investment for a good piece of enamaled cast iron.
What do you mean by disk bottom - mine have copper in the bottom - would this be considered disc? It say 5-ply - two layers of stainless, two layers of aluminum and a copper core.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
What do you mean by disk bottom - mine have copper in the bottom - would this be considered disc? It say 5-ply - two layers of stainless, two layers of aluminum and a copper core.
If the 5-ply is only on the bottom of the pan in the form of a disk rather than the entire pan's being made of layered material. If it's a disk bottom, the gottom will be very thick and the sides will be thin. If the entire pan is layered, the sides and the bottom will be all the same thickness.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
If the 5-ply is only on the bottom of the pan in the form of a disk rather than the entire pan's being made of layered material. If it's a disk bottom, the gottom will be very thick and the sides will be thin. If the entire pan is layered, the sides and the bottom will be all the same thickness.
The bottom is thicker because it has the copper - the copper does not go up the sides - does that mean that the 5-ply is not on the side?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Exactly.

The pan is made of strainless of the thickness you see on the sides. Then, the disk, with the copper sandwiched between layers of stainless, is attached to the bottom of the pan.