"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Also, doesn't carbon steel rust quicker than cast iron, or is it about the same?

~Corey123.
I'm not sure which is faster. They both are pretty quick to rust. Of course, both would be seasoned and that would inhibit rusting.

I've never used a CI wok. Let us know how it goes. I tend to move the wok a lot during stir frying. I'd be concerned the CI wok would be too heavy.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:03 AM   #32
Executive Chef

The Lodge cast iron wok IS heavy alright!

But it came already seasoned (oiled & baked). Lodges suggests keeping it oiled between uses to keep rust at bay.

~Corey123

Old 04-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Mario Batali now has a line of enamel cast iron for about half the price of LC. Look on Amazon. A large Dutch oven is about $100.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Emeril Lagasse also has cast iron cookware out with his name on it. Not enameled yet though.

~Corey123.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #35
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Mario Batali now has a line of enamel cast iron for about half the price of LC. Look on Amazon. A large Dutch oven is about $100.
Gretchen,

I've been looking at that Batali enamel cast iron one, do you know the size of it in inches at the bottom, and how high it is WITHOUT the lid. I called the manufacturer but they can't tell me.

Gary
Old 04-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #36
Master Chef

gary - the Mario pot has a 13-inch external diameter ... and since it is 6-qts the height should be somewhere between 4.25 - 4.5 inches high.

QVC is another place that you might look for Staub - although they have a very limited selection. They have a 6-qt oval for $65 and a 5-qt round for $50.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:06 AM   #37
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
gary - the Mario pot has a 13-inch external diameter ... and since it is 6-qts the height should be somewhere between 4.25 - 4.5 inches high.

QVC is another place that you might look for Staub - although they have a very limited selection. They have a 6-qt oval for $65 and a 5-qt round for $50.

Much thanks Michael
Old 04-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

Your investing for life!

I have spent months investing in pieces if le creuset when i can afford it. I have a store outlet about an hour from me a le creuset outlet and every month they have specials.Check to see near where you live if there is one.
The one i goto in in TANGER outlet centers. You can save as much as 30%on a piece which is alot on a 200.00 pot.
The investment is well worth it you will have these pots forever.My daughter says to me how one day they will all be hers.we laugh but she is right they will.
Another place for le creuset is online at (cultery and more.com)They charge no shipping and no tax.
Good Luck
mrsag
Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Mario Batali now has a line of enamel cast iron ovens that is easily as good as LC and less than half the price.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Other than lasting forever...

There isn't a thing in the world wrong with regular old cast iron if you ask me.
They take a little more attention but they aslo deliver the goods.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
They are ugly and heavy. Could be the best cookware ever.