"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Ceramic pans

Well I'm back on the search for a good alternative to Teflon, so I thought I'd post again. I just tried the Simply Calphalon ceramic 8 inch pan, and my eggs tasted perfumy. I'm not sure if the eggs tasted awful because the pan absorbed the candle smells from Bed Bath & Beyond or if it's some chemical in the ceramic. Either way it's gross. Has anyone used these pans or knows of a good ceramic or other non-stick alternative? I can't use cast iron because it's too heavy. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Head Chef

I had one (can't remember brand) that had a sort of dimpled surface on the bottom. I didn't like it at all and got rid of it.

Then I bought a fairly inexpensive brand at Safeway (Cucina Saute Pan 10 inches) that so far I have no complaints with. The price is between $10 and $15 depending on the sale price.

That's my experience.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Sous Chef

A couple of months a go, Sears had a sale on a set of Green Pan frying pans. They are coated in some sort of cermaic. We are very happy with them. Miami range - Green Pan
Old 12-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Cupcake

I was really intrigued by the concept of the ceramic pans over Teflon because my Teflon pans need to be replaced over two to three years. Plus, I'm into being more "green."

In looking up articles about them, I saw several people posting about an off-taste - especially when cooking eggs. I also saw several articles about the ceramic breaking/cracking and so I stopped looking. I love my cast iron pans, but they are very heavy.

My grandmother had two cast iron pans that were a lighter weight. They were very thin and did not retain heat like the heavier pans, but I will hang on to them for when the day comes that I cannot lift the regular pans. I did notice that there are several light weight cast iron sources on Amazon. (Just search for light-weight cast iron.) You might want to look into them.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Thanks to everyone who replied! I tried the Calphalon pan again this morning, and the eggs still tasted a little weird. I'm not sure whether I'll keep it. I'm
also concerned about the ceramic wearing down over time and getting into my food. I've read a number of reviews of different brands, saying that the ceramic eventually thins out, so now I'm not sure what to do :(