"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-27-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Ceramic titanium nonstick pans

Ceramic titanium nonstick pans are marketed as nonstick pans that can be used with metal utensils and stuff. Any one here ever used a ceramic titanium pan? Are they as AWESOME as claimed by the seller? I hate having to buy pans every year or so. Feel like i was ripped off by all those lifetime warranty products. blah blah blah. Anyways, can any one here vouche for the claims of ceramic titanium pots and pans? (and do not work for a company that sells pots and pans, don't wanna read a bunch of sales B.S.)

Old 04-27-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I have never heard of them, but the 'ceramic' part would leave me a bit hesitant in purchasing a set.

Stick with the tried and true pans ie; All Clad and Le Cruset. They cost ALOT more, BUT you will never have to repurchase them. And Le Cruset has a lifetime warranty, but trust me, you will never need it.

Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

ceramic titanium pans

what is it about ceramic that bothers you? It sounds like a neat idea cuz ceramic can handle high heat and is really tough so resists scratch.... (that is I would think those properties in general can be applied)
Old 04-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I would think they would be highly breakable, just in general. What kind of pans are we talking about?? Bake-ware like casseroles? Or fry-pans for stove top use? Let me do a bit of research........I will give a more detailed response.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
I would think they would be highly breakable, just in general.
It can be highly breakable, but then again the Le Cruset that you prize so much (and so do I ) is ceramic isn't it? As long as you are careful then they should last a long time. I am not specifically talking about these ceramic titanium nonstick pans though as I have never heard of them.

If you want something that you do not have to baby and be super careful with then go with stainless steel clad pans like All Clad. Yes they are expensive, but they are great. Also consider cast iron. They will last forever and you can not destroy them no matter what you do (except for letting them sit without drying them...rust ya know).
Old 04-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I have only one Le Cruset ceramic baking dish all my other peices are enamel/cast. I have to look for a back issue of CI mag, if memory serves they had the best results from Pyrex, which is also the cheapest
Old 04-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Ahhh sorry I don't know where my head was. I was thinking enamel, but typing ceramic LOL. I think it is time for a nap!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I guess you are referring to the Scanpan? I've heard many people say they love them but they have trouble with customer service - or at least good customer service - and wish they had not bought them. As far as how they cook I don't know anything. Sorry.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Master Chef

yuB - can you supply a brand name?

Ceramic/Enamel/Precelin lined are essentially the same thing ... depends on who is writing the ad copy.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
I have only one Le Cruset ceramic baking dish all my other peices are enamel/cast. I have to look for a back issue of CI mag, if memory serves they had the best results from Pyrex, which is also the cheapest
Ok.........Cook's Illustrated [my foodie bible] did a test on 13x9 bakeware and concluded that the pyrex was their prefered pan, winning because the clear glass made it easier to moniter browning. As far as bakeware [cassarole pans] in general I feel that one is no better than another overall. That's just my opinion. Sheetpans are another issue. Color and weight are contributing factors.

For stovetop use I don't think that ceramic will hold-up in the long run, they will get bumped and treated rougher overall than bakeware would. I will say again All Clad is the best bet dollar for dollar.

In your inital post you had said that you didn't like to repurchase over and over again, who would?? I always say............'buy the best you can afford, and ask for expensive items as gifts'