"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-24-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cheap cookware for frying?

I have been using my frying pan for frying fries all this time. I am not sure if it is okay to do that, but I figure it was since it was a *frying* pan. :/

The frying pan now is wearing off because the coating is coming off. Therefore I need a new one.

What do you people recomment when I get a new one? Specific type of stuff I should be reading on the label when shopping.

Also, I use my 'frying' pan for cooking instant noodles, heating up mini pizzas, hamburger meat, stir-frying fried rice.

So it serves as an all-in-one cookware for me. I have a very low income; I cannot afford to buy so many cookware. And it is hard for me to bring all of it with me when I move around.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #2

Cast iron! Good, cheap, and very all purpose.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

What would an 'iron cast' look like? The ones at Wal*Mart are all black.

I don't go out much, so I am not familiar where to shop. Therefore, I just go into big departments.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
Master Chef

For "pan frying" cast iron is wthout equal. The stuff at WalMart (Lodge or Lodge Logic almost excusively) is among the best you can buy. It's cheap and durable, and although cast iron is heavy you can't beat it as for value.

Lodge Logic is made by Lodge and is supposed to be "pre-seasoned'. I still treat it as "green" cast iron and season it myself.

Cast iron only becomes "black" after a lot of use. New cast iron will be a dark gray color.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Many frying pan comes with this black coating. If scrapped off by cooking tools in time, would it be bad?

Sometimes when I cook instant noodles on the pan, some black debris from the bottom ends up in my noodles. I have washed it very carefully, but bits will come out during cooking.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

Humm .... it sound like you are set on getting a non-stick skillet. And, keeping your cookware collection down to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberian
Many frying pan comes with this black coating. If scrapped off by cooking tools in time, would it be bad?
Non-stick coatings will fail and start to come off in your food no matter how gentle you are with it - depending on the non-stick material ... generally quicker in less expensive cookware. Some are better, and more expensive, than others. Personally - I don't want to eat the coating off my skillet.

To prolong the life of any non-stick cookware - never use anything metal in them ... only silicone, plastic/nylon, or wood. And don't over heat them ... nothing more than about medium temp.

Check out the Farberware Millennium 12-inch skillet at Target (about $40). For your mini-pizzas (which I assume you are baking in the oven) get a 12-15 inch round baking/pizza sheet - one large enough to cover the top of the skillet. This way you can bake your pizzas without heating up your skillet dry - which will prolong the life of it's non-stick surface - and you can use it as a makeshift lid for your skillet.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Cyberian, the black on the cast iron skillets is not the same as the non-stick coatings and will not come off. A cast iron skillet bought now and seasoned will last your lifetime and probably your grandchildren's also.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Skillet, frying pan, wok. All the ones I saw in Wal*Mart was black. I am not sure if it is just a black coating or non-stick coating. The only thing I know is, it comes off easily.

What I am looking for is something for all-purpose; boiling, stir-frying, frying, heating, etc. And I don't want to end up eating that was meant to be coated onto the cookware.

EDIT: I am not set on getting a skillet. Because I am still not sure what I am suppose to be getting other than something iron-casted as suggested above.

I don't even know the difference between a skillet and frying pan! And from the pics I seen, some skillets looks curved-bottomed like a wok with a cover, and some are flat-bottomed like a frying pan!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

The cast iron pans at any Wal-Mart (or other department store), brand-new, shouldn't have any kind of coating on them whatsoever. They should be an iron-grey color. You have to season them by heating the pan, coating it with little shortening, then baking the pan in the oven to make the oil adhere. If you are doing some deep-frying, then you'll really ensure that the season on the pan gets better as time goes on. This "season" will eventually turn black with use. Please keep in mind that the "seasoning" is NOT the same thing as the teflon non-stick coating used in non-stick pans.

Cast iron frying pans are, IMHO as a professional cook, the highest-quality, cheapest, and most versatile pieces of cooking equipment you can buy. I have three, and I love them to death. I fry in them, saute, bake (cornbread and pizza), blacken, roast, and braise. Cast iron pans easily go from stovetop, to oven, and back to the stovetop, which is great for making gravies from the drippings of a roast.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:51 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

What is this 'seasoning'? I am not familiar with this term in treating/conditioning cookware.

And what is 'shortening'?

I don't have an oven. So I cannot do everything mentioned above. I was always under the impression that when someone buys a cookware, it is ready to use 'out-of-the-box'.