"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cheap copper pots problems

Hi

I received several copper pots, measuring spoons, etc which were lacquered, and displayed them for years. I've taken the lacquer off some of the pots and want to use them. But the copper shows through the tin lining after just a few uses. I don't think I would go out and buy copper pans, but would like to use these. I am not sure whether it is worth it to retin. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I've no idea what retinning costs, but you might do a bit of research (even googling?) and see whether it's worth your while to do that.

I do know that it is dangerous, poison-wise, to cook most foods in unclad copper. Not sure why it's okay for some things but not for others. (Guess I need to go consult Shirley Corriher. She'll know! )

Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
frikadellar,
I am not sure where are you located, prices for re-tinning cooperware are around $4/in.
Being the dimension in inches the diameter of the pot plus the height.
I am including some websites I found a while ago, I own cooper/tin pots too but I never need to repair them yet. Good luck!
Cookware Retinning and Metal Refinishing
Copper Cookware Retinning
Retinning and Polishing Copper Cookware for more than fifty years
Old 12-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Master Chef

frikadellar: Copper cookware, if it is of any quality other than for just display pieces, is probably worth retinning .... and also worth learning how to cook with it to preserve it. Is there a brand name anywhere on the cookware??

Due to the low melting point of tin and how quickly copper cookware heats up - you don't preheat it! And, you don't use high heat. Also, never use metal utensils - only use wood, plastic, nylon, or silicone utensils - treat it like really cheap non-stick cookware.

ChefJune: If you have Cookwise - Shirley does talk about it ... I think it's where she talks about whipping up eggwhites where she talks about how the copper ions combine with the egg whites to stabalize them. Like most things where too much of a good thing is not good - too much copper is not good, but in limited amounts it probably will not hurt - like in whipping up egg whites, or carmalizing sugars for candy or caramel popcorn - you're not going to be eating much of those things on a regular basis. Raw copper will also keep green vegetables green ... but again, only on a limited exposure.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Senior Cook

As Michael in FtW indicated,
As far as beating eggs whites or making zabaglione, cooper (not tinned cooper) is the best pan material you can use. Make sure to clean the pan with lemon juice and dry thoroughly prior to and your results will be amazing. I am clarifying just in case.

Also, it is recommended to clean tinned pots by hand.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I've no idea what retinning costs, but you might do a bit of research (even googling?) and see whether it's worth your while to do that.

I do know that it is dangerous, poison-wise, to cook most foods in unclad copper. Not sure why it's okay for some things but not for others. (Guess I need to go consult Shirley Corriher. She'll know! )

I think Martha Stewart would know about it as well. Haha!!

At this point, it might be easier to replace the set, maybe.

Cookware that is all copper on the outside also is beautiful to look at, but you're gonna be pretty busy cleaning it to help it keep its luster and shine.

My SS cookware has a band of copper on the botton clad, and it's now time for another cleaning. The copper has once again tarnished. But i've just been too busy to do it.

But I don't think I've ever owned any tinned items at all.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

copper pots

I saw the post on cheap copper pots so my question is do you think the copper pots with stainless steel interior by J C Penny would be good quality? This cookware comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #8
Master Chef

sat511 - If you're talking about the "Cooks copper tri-ply" cookware - the composition is certainly fine (tri-ply copper-aluminum-SS) - I don't see why it wouldn't be good. JC Penny is a well established retailer with a long history of service and quality and resolving any customer problems. I wouldn't be afraid to buy anything from them.

Price doesn't always equate to quality ... you can get good cookware at a discounted price - you can also buy really crappy stuff and pay a small fortune for it.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Michael in FtW and sat511,
I agree with Michael comments about JCPenney and the look of the pieces is great, however, I'd double check.
According to the ad, these pots have cast SS handles.
I never hear this for cookware; you can use cast Iron, Bronze, Aluminium or Magnesium but cast SS???? This requires such expensive equipment and process that is economically unfeasible for this type of application.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks

Thanks wysiwyg and michael in ftw. The ad does say cast SS handles so I guess that is what they have. This relieves my mind that it is at least a good quality.