Chickens, Eggs, Omelettes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

web-collage

Senior Cook
I have four chickens and, thus, a constant source of fresh eggs. So I make a lot of omelettes.

My "perfect" 8" omelette pan of 20 years has some pin holes through the stainless surface and the black aluminum bottom seems to have lost its temper. This pan was orginally made by Farberware in the US, and is no longer made.

So I am looking for a good replacement. NO I DO NOT WANT NON-STICK! Do not wish to cook in aluminum either. SO -- any suggestions for an 8" pan with sloping sides like the one pictured?

Attachments

• DSCF0308.JPG
    DSCF0308.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0310.JPG
    DSCF0310.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 221
Sure. Get a fully clad SS skillet. They are often available for very good price as an introductory piece to a line of cookware. I bought a Tramontina for $30.

If I was opposed to non-stick, that's what I'd use.

Thanks. I looked up Tramontina. Made in Brazil? That seems funny. But the shape is right and fully clad would have the aluminum core going up the sides, which is what cooks the omelette so well and so fast.

Thanks. I looked up Tramontina. Made in Brazil? That seems funny. But the shape is right and fully clad would have the aluminum core going up the sides, which is what cooks the omelette so well and so fast.

It's not funny at all. As this country matures, more of the economy is services based rather than manufacturing based. Companies are sending the manufacturing overseas because it's less expensive. That was done many years ago with textiles, shoes and TVs. You can't find a TV made in the USA.

I have four chickens and, thus, a constant source of fresh eggs. So I make a lot of omelettes.

My "perfect" 8" omelette pan of 20 years has some pin holes through the stainless surface and the black aluminum bottom seems to have lost its temper. This pan was orginally made by Farberware in the US, and is no longer made.

So I am looking for a good replacement. NO I DO NOT WANT NON-STICK! Do not wish to cook in aluminum either. SO -- any suggestions for an 8" pan with sloping sides like the one pictured?

I have that same pan!! I love mine and it looks worn the same way. It is the only non- alclad pan in my kitchen these days and before you order a new pan you need to measure. The allclad pans run smaller than the farberware and an 8 inch all clad will be smaller than your old one.

Thanks. I will take my tape measure with me. That pan is perfect for a 2-egg omelette and light enough to tip around. Takes about 30 seconds to make. I have All-Clad too but their small frying pan does not have the right shape and was made in China as a bonus gift. Inferior materials too.

I'm going to check the Tramontina.

Having trouble locating Tramontina in the right size and all-clad. Wal-Mart had a special but is out of stock. Amazon has some but only the base is tri-ply.

After reading Tramontina reviews, I went to 125West.com where the better line is supposed to be sold. Made in China. I try to avoid China goods, usually inferior workmanship and materials, especially metal.

HOWEVER, I just sort of accidentally bought a used (2 mm) heavy copper fry/saute pan lined with SS that is the right shape and maybe the right size. I will have to try it with two eggs when it arrives.

Google Product Search came up with a few that look promising..thou your slopping sides look pretty shallow:

- Sur La Table Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Skillet, 8"
- All-Clad 5108 8" Stainless Steel Pan
- All-Clad 8-in. Master Chef 2 (MC2) Skillet 7108
- Calphalon Tri-Ply 8" Omelette Pan
- All-Clad 8-in Cop-r-Chef 1108 SS
- Cuisinox POT320F Cuisinox Elite Frypan

Back
Top Bottom