Chinese bamboo steamers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I have only ever used my bamboo steamer once, and I don’t remember if the pan below it has to match the diameter of the steamer, or if it’s okay if the pan is a bit smaller. Can anyone help? Am I being obsessive?

If the pan below is smaller in diameter than the bamboo steamers some of the steam will be lost.

I steam on my wok.

also be careful not to have your steamer "hang over" the edges of the pan...
:LOL:

Attachments

• burnt steamer.jpg
    burnt steamer.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 165
I actually use my steamer a fair amount. Especially if I am boiling some other vegie (carrots/potatoes) -I put the delicate vegies (beans/asparagus/broccoli) in the steamer above.

Line your basket with a cabbage leaf... and eat that too. Parchment paper works too.

I think dragn sneezed on her bamboo steamer, or so it looks.

Lol, but yes, you don't want the pan underneath to be smaller, not only because it could catch on fire, but also the steam will drip down the insides and onto your stove.

We also use our steamer a lot for things like shu mai, or dumplings.

I've put baby bok choy leaves down first, then the shu mai, then another tray of just whole baby bok choy.
After removing the cooked shu mai, I like to toss the bok choy with soy and butter.

I should have mentioned that if you use a smaller frying pan it's too close to the fire.

We often use a pasta pot as well.

I don't know if they still are made this way... but when they (woks) first became popular in North America back in the 60's - there was a wire "shelf" where you could put your finished food. I have no idea if that is the way it is in some asian areas but it would make sense for the steam... especially at the end when they often put a lid on.

lol - just not the shakin and a flippin of the wok itself!

I have steamed in a wok without steamer baskets. Bring a small amount to water to a boil in the wok and place two chopsticks 6-8" apart horizontally in the wok. Where the chopsticks sit is determined by their length and the curve of the wok. At any rate, they should be above the level of the water. Place a plate with the food to be steamed on top of the chopsticks and place the wok cover on the wok.

003.JPG

I put my bamboo steamer inside of my large, high sided fry pan, and I also keep an eye on the water... don't let the water go down too low, as the bamboo is sitting on the bottom of the pan... as dragn mentioned, line with cabbage or buckytom said with bok choy and then EAT the greens
(mine may not be pretty, but they sure did taste good :yum:)

I've never wanted a bamboo steamer...just far too bulky to store for as often as I'd need it. I do have a round rack that will fit inside my wok. With the lid, it works perfectly.

One of these days I’ll have to get a steamer of that style. About the only bamboo steamer I have and used is for sticky rice. It looks like one of those Vietnamese hats for lack of better words for those that are not familiar. The flat type style I should look more into and see what kinds of things to do with one of those. It very well could be another fun thing to learn, and the best part is you get to eat the end result :yum:

Happy Easter all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom