Cleaning my Le Creuset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm confused. I thought Barkeeper's Friend was for stainless steel and aluminium. Is it good for enamelled cast iron too?

I'm confused. I thought Barkeeper's Friend was for stainless steel and aluminium. Is it good for enamelled cast iron too?

It's a mild abrasive along with cleaning compounds. It can be used on metal and enameled cookware.

For the Le Creuset pots and pans with enameled finish, I use ceramic cooktop cleaner and a Scotch-Brite non-scratch scrubbing pad. Works like a charm.

The brand of cooktop cleaner I prefer is called Whink, but I'm sure there are others that work just as well.

Last edited:
I use baking soda for mine. Re: where I buy Barkeepers, Ogdensburg, NY. It is about 4x the price at the places listed in Canada. If you go across, buy it in the States.

Is Barkeeper's Friend any better than other brands? E.g., Lagostina Stainless Steel and Copper Cleaner, available at The Bay.

BKF isn't the ONLY solution. It's a good solution and handy with all cookware. If you have something else that works without scratching, use that.

For regular cleansers, I'd stick with Bon Ami as it's less abrasive than the other brand names (Comet, Ajax). If you have shiny SS pots and pans, you don't want them all dull and scratched from cleaning like I did with one of my All-Clad skillets before I learned about BKF. Now it has a lovely satin finish.

There is a Home Hardware in most communities. I haven't looked for it for a long time. Drummers swear by it when cleaning chrome hardware on drums. I will take a walk down and have a close look. Thanks....

in canada, it isn't bah keepah's friend,

the reason it's a rareity in canada is that the weird guy with the white gloves and thinning wedge haircut reserves all imported bar keepers friend for lord stanley's cup...

I use baking soda for mine. Re: where I buy Barkeepers, Ogdensburg, NY. It is about 4x the price at the places listed in Canada. If you go across, buy it in the States.

You are in Ogdensburg? We are in Florida ...transplanted from Tupper Lake about 12 years ago. Miss the Adirondacks.

I have a small, no-name, enamelled, cast iron skillet. I tried boiling it with some baking soda in the water. Oh my! That worked a treat. It hasn't been that clean since I got it.

taxlady said:
I have a small, no-name, enamelled, cast iron skillet. I tried boiling it with some baking soda in the water. Oh my! That worked a treat. It hasn't been that clean since I got it.

I've done that with ancient pots, used baking soda and vinegar, worked well too!

Back
Top Bottom