Cleaning my Le Creuset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I have a 7.5 qt Le Creuset that has a light film on the bottom of the inside that I can't get off with normal scrubbing. I'm so scared of hurting it that I haven't tried anything else but I'd like to get the residue off. Does anyone have any TNT ideas?

Have you tried bar keepers friend? It is a powdered cleaner, but will not scratch. It gets just about anything clean.

No, I'd forgotten all about it but now that you mention it I've heard great things about it. Where do you get it--a restaurant supply store? Hopefully it's not industrial-sized!

hmmm I wonder if that new product called dawn dissolver would work? :ermm:

I actually had trouble finding Bar Keepers Friend myself. When I did find it I bought a bunch. Most regualar super markets do carry it, but for some reason mine did not. I believe Bon Ami is very similar to Bar Keepers Friend, but don't hold me to that.

Debbie, I bet Dawn Dissolver would work as well.

you can make a simple, non-scratching cleaner with 2 parts borax and 1 part cream of tartar...mix- rub on with damp cloth or sponge...

Barkeeper's Friend works miracles on LC, both inside and outside.

They sell Barkeeper's friend in my local Stop and Shop with the Comet and Ajax, etc. You can buy online, too.

BK Friend has a special formulation of chemicals in addition to the soft abrasive action of the powder.

I am happy to get this information also as when mine comes, I'd like to know how not to ruin it like I have with other pieces of it in the passed. I have found that my pieces have lost their sheen inside when they've been used for something that discolors like tomato sauces or chili's etc. When you put water inside, then add Babbo or even a small amount of bleach, believe me when I say, it may brighten and bring some of the white back, but it also removes any shine over the years.

I looked for Bar Keepers Friend in my Albertsons market a few weeks ago and they didn't have it. It's a brand new flag ship store of theirs and I'm sure that if I asked them to get it, they would, and I will be doing just that.

I am in Boston tonight and tomorrow and there is a Ross or Marshalls there. I'll attempt to check out if they have any of this cleaner plus I may just look for more Le Creuset while I'm in there, you just never know. I had found 3 pots in there a year ago that I would have purchased but didn't know how to get them home and didn't know where a FED EX was or a Mail&More either. I left them there and was disappointed.

In Boston, look for BK Friend at Super Stop and Shops.

If you have a car, there is a LC Outlet in the Wrentham Village Outlet Mall, about 1/2 hour south.

Jenny my Super Stop and Shop doesn't carry it :( . I have to go to Spags in Shrewsbery to find it.

lol, i can imagine the conversation:

"er, ah, whatcha got there, ah, quince? go sawx."

"it's, er ah, bah-keepahs friend. the wicked best cleaner on the, er, ah, planet. go sawx"...

most $$ stores have BKF

It contains an oxygen bleach type chemical

Invented to help 1800s barkeepers keep their brass and copper bright. won't scratch.

Bon Ami is made from egg shells...also won't scratch...I keep both around the house all the time.

buckytom said:
lol, i can imagine the conversation:

"er, ah, whatcha got there, ah, quince? go sawx."

"it's, er ah, bah-keepahs friend. the wicked best cleaner on the, er, ah, planet. go sawx"...

Bostonians don't talk like that. Hollywood's attempt to imitate a Boston accent sounds like that. Go Red Sox!

Try Bed Bath & Beyond, usually in the kitchen gadgets section or the section where they sell Emerilware/All Clad. This is where I buy mine and every store seems to have it...also their website has it.

I can't believe that Bar Keepers Friend is so hard to find up North since it originated in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1882 and I can find it in every major grocery store in my area (in the section with Comet, Ajax, Bon Ami, etc. - usually in the cleaning products section - near the dishwashing soaps).

They (BKF) have a website and if you have problems locating it in your state - you can click on the "Can't Find" link and they will tell you what stores in your state carry their products.

Someone throw Robo a treat ... the magical cleaning agent in BKF is "Oxalic Acid" - same "magic" ingredient in products like "Oxy-Clean", and several other such cleaners.

Michael in FtW said:
I can't believe that Bar Keepers Friend is so hard to find up North...

I have the same problem. I rarely see it in a supermarket. All the shelf space is dedicated to the big brands.

I usually end up at a kitchen store. I buy several cans at a time.

I found this old thread via search. I have no access to Bar Keeper's Friend her in Canada. My dutch oven is getting quite discolored and wondered if anybody has a proven method that works. I was going to try baking soda but am holding off. The bottom on the inside is getting quite brown over time and I would like to get it off.

Back
Top Bottom