Cleaning old cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superchef69

Assistant Cook
I inherited some 60 year old cast iron fry pans. One has some bare spots that turn rusty when washed. the other has a build-up of 60 years of cooking, I guess. Can these be cleaned? Can I do anything about the rusting spots?

Good Morning and welcome to DC.
The pan that has spots that will rust just needs to be "re-seasoned" The process is simple. Remove any rust. Wash it. Dry it. put a light coat of Crisco on it. Turn it upside down and "bake' in your oven at 350* for a couple of hours. Turn off the oven and let it cool. You may need to do this twice. Then use it for frying etc.(bacon, chicken, fish etc. not for brazing. The other one may just need a good washing with very light scrubbing and put into use. In one sense the "build up" is the seasoning. In another this "build-up" may need removing. Hard to say without seeing the pan. Can you post a picture of it?
Good luck.

Enjoy!!

it needs re-seasoning again.
clean off the rust and dry it off, then half fill it up with Salt and heat it on medium/high for a good hour.
dump the salt out (not into anything that will melt, and then rub the inside of the pan with cooking oil, then just leave it to cool, wipe off the excess oil, and store that way.

harsh de-greasing detergents aren`t good for cast iron, you need to wipe a light oil coat on it after washing.

Finally obtained a digital photo to describe my cast iron frypan problem. so here goes. Thanks so far.

Attachments

• frypan.jpg
    frypan.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 277
I purchased a huge cast iron frying pan at a garage sale for 2.00. I love it It is real heavy. It has the regular handle and then a small one on the other side great for carring it.
It was nasty but knowing cleaning it it would be great. I took it outside and sprayed it with oven cleaner and really covered it and hosed it off and redid again. Took most of it off then i took a piece of sandpaper and got the tough areas and then a mild sandpaper to smooth it all out. After getting it all cleaned up - Looks brand new - then reseasoned on my gas grill (didn't want to turn the oven on in the hot weather we have been having) and it is great. Great purchase for 2.00. Love it for frying chicken, jambalaya,Paella

so don't walk away from any cast iron at a garage sale or flea market, They always have them cheap. And you can't destroy them - they are very forgiving. Oh and also got a corn muffin pan for 50 cents. minor cleaning on that.

Take the time to season it and you won't go wrong

Back
Top Bottom