"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I hope I am not doing something wrong. I fill the pan with a strong bleach solution and let set overnight. It works well for me.

An alternative is to smear liquid dishwashingdetergent on it and let set.

One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Adillo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Adillo I don't believe you're doing anything wrong since bleach is only effective for an hour once exposed to light, that's why bleach bottles are solid and let no light in.

I'll let you all know how it turns out later tonight. Thansk

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #13
Executive Chef
I think this poor little pan is cursed. I finally got all 99% of the crud off from the jelly fiasco and last night, first use since I got it clean, I burned on refried beans. I can't win.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
Senior Cook
I have the same Cuisinart set as you do and have had far too many similar disasters as you, from the kids, etc. It IS a stainless steel pot (set) with NO non-stick, no coating of any sort, so you CAN use an oven cleaner on it if that is something you wish to try.

I have worked off as much as I could using BKF, scouring pad, etc., and when nothing further could be done, that is when the oven cleaner is called in! Get the pan hot by boiling water in it first, toss out the boiling water, then immediately spray with the oven cleaner. Have the lid to the pot ready, to cover it, let set per the oven cleaner directions.

If you do not want to use the oven cleaner, I have also gone to the point of boiling the water and then adding 1/4 cup of dishwasher soap....the crystals, not liquid, as for some reason the liquid dishwasher soap just doesn't work like the dry does. Add the dry soap to the boiling water and let simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Remove from heat and check to see if the black particles have removed themselves. If not, try to scrape them off with the scouring pad. You may have to return the pot and soap mixture to a boil and repeat. It does work.
QUEEN-GUINEVERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
Head Chef
One thing that I have not seen mentioned is chucking a cloth wheel in a drill or grinder, and polishing out with buffing compounds. Professional retinners do this with copper exteriors and I have cleaned old copper with them. Compounds are inexpensive and come in several grits. You will not hurt your cookware unless you are Tim Taylor and are using the Binford 9000.

Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote