"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

Okay, so I was getting irritated with someone online at another site while I was cooking a glaze of cherry jelly and apple jelly and I burned the heck out of my pan. I've put boiling water into it several times and now the black stuff if mainly around the edge of the inside. I had DD pick up some Bar Keepers Friend but didn't get to try it. Should I bother or toss the pan? It's my 1 quart pan and I love the little guy so I don't want to toss it but I don't know even if I get it off if it will be okay to use. It's not teflon coated or anything, just straight stainless. It's by Cuisenart and I can't buy it individually if I toss it and I'm one of those weird people that like all her pans to match. I can post a picture tonight if that would help.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Master Chef

You can try white vinegar and baking soda first, if that does not work, then barkeepers friend. I would keep the pan.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

No need to toss the pot.

Soak it for a couple of hours then try the BKF. That should do the trick. If not, put a few Tb of ammonia in the pan and leave it overnight tightly covered. Then try the BKF again.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
You can try white vinegar and baking soda first, if that does not work, then barkeepers friend. I would keep the pan.
Been that route already and it took off some of it, but there's still some crud left on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No need to toss the pot.

Soak it for a couple of hours then try the BKF. That should do the trick. If not, put a few Tb of ammonia in the pan and leave it overnight tightly covered. Then try the BKF again.
I haven't let it dry off since the disaster happened. It's had water or some liquid in it since Sunday night when "the incident" happened, so I'm covered there.

I have gone so far to try boiling cream of tartar and water in it, which actually helped a little, but that will eventually get expensive at the rate that was working.

I'll try the BKF when I get home. Thanks both of you.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Don't toss it, Callisto. Make a paste with the Barkeepers Friend and a little water and then let it sit for a while. Then scrub with one of those green scrubbing pads. If it's really bad, it may take a couple of times but it will come out looking like new. I promise. I have done this way more times than I'd care to admit so I know it works.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

And make sure to put a lot of elbow grease into it. It is not going to come up easily, but if your really work it then you should have success.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Don't toss it, Callisto. Make a paste with the Barkeepers Friend and a little water and then let it sit for a while. Then scrub with one of those green scrubbing pads. If it's really bad, it may take a couple of times but it will come out looking like new. I promise. I have done this way more times than I'd care to admit so I know it works.
Ditto. I didn't make a paste, but a lot of BKF, a lot of elbow grease and a scotch-brite pad cleaned the burned on gunk out of my Cuisinart SS pan when I pan seared/oven baked a steak in it. It also took off the chrome looking shine, leaving minute abrasion scratches, but the pan still works great and the more I use it the more the shine is coming back.
I will always use CI for this cooking method from now on
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
And make sure to put a lot of elbow grease into it. It is not going to come up easily, but if your really work it then you should have success.
Oh yeah, I forgot that part. GB is right - it will be a chore, that's for sure. But the end result will be worth it.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
See? I told ya it would take a lot of elbow grease!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Master Chef

Some folks have said putting a dryer sheet in the water to soften things up. Never tried it myself. I have some ss pans that I've burned things in, most recently a stock pot with rice. I have learned to not try to get EVERY bit off at once. If the surface is fairly smooth and you only have little bits left that don't come off, I have found that using the pan helps to loosen things up. I have never had the black bits come off in the food but after cooking something in it, the clean up usually takes the last little bits of black off. I would try a little tomato soup or sauce in the pan and heat it up. The acidity of the tomato will help. I've done all the other things suggested here as well so they work too.