"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Head Chef

I bought good baking sheets at Sam's Club--half sheet size, and I think they were $7 each.

Rolled rims, heavy aluminum, no warping.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I bought good baking sheets at Sam's Club--half sheet size, and I think they were $7 each.

Rolled rims, heavy aluminum, no warping.

These half sheet pans are a great size for the home oven. I have 3 or 4. I also have a quarter sheet pan that's very handy for smaller jobs for the two of us.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
Master Chef

What exactly do I need to look for in these baking sheets? I obviously keep picking the wrong ones... they warp, they discolor, they stick!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

These are plain aluminum. Silvery in color and about an inch deep The edges are rolled over so they won't warp. The large size for home use s a half sheet pan
Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
Master Chef

My altimate dream is to have comercial kitchen, everything from a to z. But That is only if i win lotery, otherwise I do not see where the funds would come from. I love comercial stuff, it is so much better.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Sounds like I need to check out my local kitchen supply store!!! I am really interested in the baking sheets you folks mention. I keep buying this junk from BB&B and after 2 or 3 uses is looks like crud! (Not that I care what it looks like, just would like something that I don't have to buy every 6 to 8 months.) Sounds like a good place to get my stock pot I want to add to my kitchen tools!
Okay, another thing here, use parchment paper! I can't stress enough how great this stuff is. It really saves in the cleanup department. It keeps your pans from staining as well.

As soon as funds permit, I'm going to get more half-sheets at the restaurant supply store.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
My altimate dream is to have comercial kitchen, everything from a to z. But That is only if i win lotery, otherwise I do not see where the funds would come from. I love comercial stuff, it is so much better.
Oh heck yes! Commercial microwaves, mixers, food processors, cookware, blenders, etc. It's not as pretty [some is] but you can just feel the heavy duty quality in it all. The problem is, some of it is big and can take up precious counter space.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #18
Master Chef

That is why I need to win lottery, so the counterspace is going to be as big as my immagination can see
Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
Master Chef

Falkon.. yes, I use the parchment paper... just started using it more often here the last several months. It took me a while to realize the value of this stuff!!! But even with the paper... I still got cruddy pans!!! LOL!

Thanks Andy M.!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Sounds like I need to check out my local kitchen supply store!!! I am really interested in the baking sheets you folks mention. I keep buying this junk from BB&B and after 2 or 3 uses is looks like crud! (Not that I care what it looks like, just would like something that I don't have to buy every 6 to 8 months.) Sounds like a good place to get my stock pot I want to add to my kitchen tools!
Sattie, the commercial aluminum sheet pans will stick, too, unless you use a silicone baking mat or parchment paper or oil the pan every time but they definitely don't warp. I really like them for reheating a huge frozen casserole or maybe a frozen Stouffer's lasagne because the sheets are heavy duty enough that you can pull them out of the oven fully loaded with one hand and they won't buckle! While you're at the restaurant supply, check out the "screen racks". They are wonderful metal racks designed to store pizza pans standing up on their rims. I built a shelf over my fridge and then permanently attached these racks to it and now I store all my baking sheets, platters, cutting boards, serving trays etc. standing up in these racks. Everything is easy to see and reach.