Commercial vs. Consumer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I love it!!! Thanks Fisher's Mom!!! I have a feeling that when I go to this place, I need to have a couple hundred bucks in hand!!! I need to find that baking mat you speak of as well. The screen wrack sounds great too, I currently keep all my bake wear in the bottom drawer of the stove. I guess it is a storage drawer. Not the easiest thing to get to, but does the trick.

Yeah, Sattie, that's where I store my bakeware at the coast too, but here at home my stove doesn't have a storage drawer. Oh man, I'm always tempted to spend a couple of hundred, that's for sure.
Most of the supply houses have a catalog and I'd advise picking one up. They note the exact measurements of each item so you can know ahead of time if an item will fit easily where you want to put it.
BTW, if you go, look for some stuff called Sheila Shine. It's designed to clean and shine stainless steel but this stuff is amazing! It's kind of like a clear finish for pretty much everything. I got it to put on my SS stove, since the mineral oil thing I always heard about collects dust. You just wipe this stuff on and wipe off any excess with a dry cloth and it protects for several months. When I slosh or drip or sling food on my hot stove and I go to clean it off later, it just wipes off! No kidding. It's on my ss sinks and counters, my dishwasher, my fridge, my faucet, etc. The can says you can even use it on "fine furniture". I haven't tried that yet but I have put it on practically every surface of my kitchen and it's awesome. I think it's about $9 for a container that will last you a year or more.

Okay, good deal. If I had a pot rack, I guess I could see investing totally in nice looking stainless cookware

No, if you had a pot rack, you would buy the VERY expensive copper cookware to put on display, then drag the cheap aluminium stuff out of the cupboards when it's time to cook, because the copper is SO hard to keep clean!

I got a chance to go down to the restaurant supply store and get a look at what most of the places around here are using.

Which one did you go to? Was it the one on Governor’s Drive down in the Medical District? I’ve been meaning to go to that one, but haven’t made it yet. Not sure if there are any more in town?

Dyke's Restaurant Supply on Jordan Lane. That place is great. I'll most likely go there to get more flatware as well. I bought my half sheet baking sheets there, and I recognize many of the things, since I've seen them in other restaurants and kitchens. Too bad I don't work the kitchen job anymore. I've only recently started building mine up.
....aaaaand the timer just went off on my focaccia bread.

When Buck and I lived in Washington, D.C., we used to love going to SYSCO for a lot of food needs, as well as cookware, etc. Loved it and really missed it when we moved to rural western Kentucky.

However, we were surprised to discover two really great restaurant supply houses within 30 miles of our house. Unfortunately, they didn't sell any foodstuffs, just cookware, etc. But, the cookware and tools selections are wonderful. Dontcha just love toys?!`

Dyke's Restaurant Supply on Jordan Lane. That place is great. I'll most likely go there to get more flatware as well. I bought my half sheet baking sheets there, and I recognize many of the things, since I've seen them in other restaurants and kitchens. Too bad I don't work the kitchen job anymore. I've only recently started building mine up.
....aaaaand the timer just went off on my focaccia bread.

Oh CRAP! DW just said “well there is Dyke’s” right when I told her about this pots. She says it is close to Bill’s Used Tires and Chuckey Cheese. I’ll check it out! But it bugs me…..how did she know about a supply house before me!! I’m slippin’ in my old age! :LOL:

That's the one. Since there's someone I can ask, would you happen to have any good cookbooks that teach "theory" or "alchemy" as I call it? I mean everything from terms to how to use the chef's knife to do this and that. I only know what I learned from working in a kitchen for a couple of years, and I wasn't a line cook.

That's the one. Since there's someone I can ask, would you happen to have any good cookbooks that teach "theory" or "alchemy" as I call it? I mean everything from terms to how to use the chef's knife to do this and that. I only know what I learned from working in a kitchen for a couple of years, and I wasn't a line cook.

Absolutely! I’d recommend Mark Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything”. He covers everything from cookware to cooking theory and tons of recipes in between. A must have for a starting or even a seasoned cook!

I also like Alton Brown's Books. I'm Just Here for the Food, And I'm Just Here for More Food. I've read a DC thread where folks weren't too impressed, but every recipe I've tried has worked out well; and there is more in depth explanation as to what's going on as you are cooking, from how gluten forms, to the difference between saturated, unsaturated, polyunsaturated fats. Also techniques in roasting, searing, sauce making!!!.

One more, My buddy has a Victory Gardens Cookbook that has a lot of wonderful recipes and an appendix full of everything,....how to clarify butter, how to make a roux, how to make creme freche(sp?). I look into the details of where to get that book.

I just got Cooking For Dummies after iron chef recommended it and it's perfect for me. Lots of clear explanations of the science behind cooking and basic techniques and skills one needs to know. It would be great for a young person just setting out on their own who has no cooking experience (or someone like me). Now, I'm going to look for Mark Bittman's book, keltin. Thanks for the recommendation.

I did pick that book up. It has great recipes in almost every genre. It doesn't have so much of the theory, but I've been told to pick up Essentials of Cooking, so I'll go for that some day.

I did pick that book up. It has great recipes in almost every genre. It doesn't have so much of the theory, but I've been told to pick up Essentials of Cooking, so I'll go for that some day.

The Bittman book? Yeah, it doesn’t have theory like Alton Brown has. For that kind of scientific info, get “What Einstein Told His Cook”. It gets technical!

The Bittman book covers techniques such as buying equipment, knife skills, boning meat, braising, grilling, broiling, etc. If it is done in the kitchen, he talks about how to do it.

This is THE book on the science and theory of cooking. It goes into a lot more detail and covers a lot more ground than either Alton Brown or Robert Wolke (Eintein). I have all three.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom