"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Comprehensive Instructions on Caring for Stainless?

I got a REALLY nice all-clad sauteuse for christmas. I could never afford one on my own. I've found a bit on the site here about stainless. I'd like to gather a comprehensive list of:

1) Cooking with stainless
2) cleaning the stainless
3) anything else that stainless may need

Most of us who are moving to stainless are used to cooking on non-stick and there are many areas where things are just different for both cooking and cleaning.

Old 12-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Congrats on your new sauteuse. I am sure you are going to love it. It should have some with a sheet that explains exactly how to care for and cook with it. Read and follow those instructions as they are right on and also will tell you what will and will not void the warranty.

Here are a few things that I will tell you and I am sure others will jump in with more.

In most cases you do not need high heat. Med high is usually as hot as you need. The biggest exception is when you are boiling liquid. Then crank the heat as high as it will go.

I do not put my stainless in the dishwasher as i find it easy enough to clean by hand, but the instructions say you can use the dishwasher. I just get worried that repeated washings in the machine would make the surface look a little worn. That may or may not be true and others who wash theirs in a machine will be able to tell us.

When washing by hand, wait for the pan to cook a bit before putting under water. If you put a very hot pan under cold water then you could warp the pan. Letting it cool just a few minutes and then putting under hot water solves this problem.

Steel wool is not needed when cleaning and will scratch the finish on the inside of the pan. If you do not care what it looks like in the inside though then the steel wool will not hurt the pan.

As far as cooking with it, make sure that you use enough fat and get it hot before adding the food, especially proteins. If you are cooking meats then do not play with the food for a few minutes once it goes in the pan. Most people will want to start stirring and moving the food around right away, but that is the last thing you want to do. If you try to move the food as soon as you put it in the pan then it WILL stick. If, instead, you let the food sit in the pan for a few minutes first then initially it will stick, but then it will release from the pan. It will take a little practice, but you will get the hand of it in no time.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Cook

Barkeepers Friend is essential because you'll eventually get spots that are a pain and it works great on SS. I bought a 8" AC nonstick a few months ago to be my goto egg pan but since learning (mainly at this forum) to use SS I prefer to use my 8" ACSS for eggs.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

You should also consider keeping a spray bottle of Dawn Power Dissolver on hand. If oil/fat/etc. gets burned onto the pan, spray this stuff on it and waith 15 minutes before cleaning-it's magic.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I read somewhere that you should not use cooking sprays like "pam" on Stainless. Is this correct? Why?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
I read somewhere that you should not use cooking sprays like "pam" on Stainless. Is this correct? Why?

I think that only applies to the non stick cookware only. It makes it really hard to clean a nonstick pan if you use a cooking spray on nonstick cookware. If used over time it will ruin the origional non stick coating.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie
Barkeepers Friend is essential because you'll eventually get spots that are a pain and it works great on SS. I bought a 8" AC nonstick a few months ago to be my goto egg pan but since learning (mainly at this forum) to use SS I prefer to use my 8" ACSS for eggs.

Also, try Wright's Copper Cream. It's made mainly for copper, but it also does a fine job cleaning stainless steel. The copper band that's around the bottoms of my Emerilware stainless cookware tend to tarnish and darken a little after cooking in them.

A little biit of this paste on the supplied sponge just literally lifts the tarnish right off with hardly any rubbing!

After washing this cookware, I immediately dry the items with a dish towel and hang the cookware on hooks. The glass lids go in a wire basket.

This is very important because if you leave your stainless cookware in the dish rack next to the sink, splashing water from the faucet will get on your stainless cookware & lids, and when the water dries, you have spotty cookware. It has happened to me.

~Corey123.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
From what I've read Pam will leave a film on the cooking surface. I've never used it on my SS. You want a small amount of food to stick to the pan to build a fond to make sauces with. Though Im sadly lacking on the technique. The main thing about SS is not to fiddle with the food before it releases from the pan.

P.S. I do fiddle with eggs. After the white sets a bit I shake the pan a bit to prevent the eggs from sticking. You have to have a very clean pan and butter/oil to do eggs.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
Master Chef

I use BKF on my copper pan as well as my stainless. It can work miracles.

I've also used Pam on both SS and nonstick.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie
From what I've read Pam will leave a film on the cooking surface. I've never used it on my SS. You want a small amount of food to stick to the pan to build a fond to make sauces with. Though Im sadly lacking on the technique. The main thing about SS is not to fiddle with the food before it releases from the pan.

Yes, I've noticed that during the two times that I made Carbonara.

The bacon and panchetta had stuck to the bottom of the stainless sautee pan. it didn't burn though, on account I had it on medium to low heat. After cooling it down, which the recipe tells you to do, I later added the heavy cream, beaten egg yolks & boilied drained pasta in preparation for just heating it a little to thicken.

The bacon & panchetta bits that had stuck to the bottom were already loosened up and the pan was quite easy to clean when the time came to wash it!! Nice!!!

~Corey123.