"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post
Quick question about your suggestion of using other oils with higher smoke points: do you generally use olive oil for pan-oriented cooking? I'm very new to cooking so I don't know if my following logic is proper: I generally use olive oil with pan-oriented cooking, especially sauteing, which is mostly what I do so far; meanwhile, with higher temp cooking, such as the oven, broiler, or frying, I'll use canola, extra light olive oil, etc.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a relatively low smoke point which means it burns at lower temperatures than other oils. Canola and regular olive oil (not extra virgin) will have higher smoke points so they can be used with higher heat applications. That does not mean that you can not use extra virgin in those cases, but you need to be more careful.

Sauteing is actually a higher heat cooking method then frying generally. When sauteing you want your heat very high. Frying is generally done at around 350-375ish. You can fry in EVOO, but most people don't because that is kind of an expensive way to go.

I use EVOO for just about all my cooking needs, but I watch the heat very carefully to make sure it never gets hot enough to burn.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydovey
Quick question about your suggestion of using other oils with higher smoke points: do you generally use olive oil for pan-oriented cooking?
If we are talking about Extra Virgin Oil....As a general rule I would say No...due to it’s low smoke point...The point at which the oil will begin to smoke and burn...However, it can be used if you watch the temperature closely...For pan oriented (high heat) cooking I usually reach for Canola, Peanut, Corn, or Safflower, and on occasion Soybean as they have higher smoke points...
HERE is some general information on different oils and their uses......HTH

Have Fun!!.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I used to have some copper thick bottom stainless pans. They look nice but are really useless. I remember cooking some halibut in mine the first time I used it and had the same problem. Then I worked at a restaurant a while later that had the same pans and they told me to shallow fry everything or else the pans are useless.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyard14 View Post
I used to have some copper thick bottom stainless pans. They look nice but are really useless. I remember cooking some halibut in mine the first time I used it and had the same problem. Then I worked at a restaurant a while later that had the same pans and they told me to shallow fry everything or else the pans are useless.
What's "shallow fry"?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
Senior Cook

deep frying in a pan.
about a half inch of oil high and bringing it to temperature. It was pretty stupid because they could have then just deep fried instead of using a bunch of oil in the pan everytime wasting money. But it wasnt my restaurant to say so I did what I was told.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have my mom's old Revere ware, and the only times I have had a problem with it "turning colors" is if I have the heat too high AND leave the food item in too long.

Stainless steel should have no reaction to the food cooked in it. If it's turning black, your heat is too high.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I have my mom's old Revere ware, and the only times I have had a problem with it "turning colors" is if I have the heat too high AND leave the food item in too long.

Stainless steel should have no reaction to the food cooked in it. If it's turning black, your heat is too high.
Which is what I said several posts ago. Contrary to what most people apparently think, you don't need maximum heat to pan broil or fry successfully.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:24 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Uncle Bob, thank you for your explanation and link on Tri-ply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
For pan oriented (high heat) cooking I usually reach for Canola, Peanut, Corn, or Safflower, and on occasion Soybean as they have higher smoke points...
How come soybean oil only "on occassion"? Thanks for the link on the uses of all types of oils. Very useful and bookmarked for posterity.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Sauteing is actually a higher heat cooking method then frying generally. When sauteing you want your heat very high. Frying is generally done at around 350-375ish. You can fry in EVOO, but most people don't because that is kind of an expensive way to go.
Oh! That's very interesting. Going only by appearance, the bubbling oil in the frying process just appears to be hotter--or just more menacing. What's a way to gage if your sauteing heat is higher than frying temperature? (would placing the stove knob on medium be a way to roughly ensure your saute temp is lower than frying temp?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I use EVOO for just about all my cooking needs, but I watch the heat very carefully to make sure it never gets hot enough to burn.
I use EVOO too, usually, for most my cooking needs but it's mostly the influence of what I see on cooking shows. I have little culinary rational of why I should use it. However, since, at least to me, the flavor of olive oil is really only present when used in salads/breads/etc (situations where EVOO is added after the cooking process), what is your reason for using EVOO as your primary cooking oil?

And thank you to everyone else who's also replied. You've been very helpful.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post
Uncle Bob, thank you for your explanation and link on Tri-ply.

How come soybean oil only "on occassion"? Thanks for the link on the uses of all types of oils. Very useful and bookmarked for posterity.
The short answer is I only buy it on occasion... I'm just not in the habit of buying it on a regular basis......Which when you think about it doesn't make much sense...The oil is an excellent all purpose oil...Suited for many uses...has a high smoke point etc....and comparatively... it is a very inexpensive oil here...$20 for 3 gallons!

You're welcome for the links!!

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote