Cooking salmon on stainless steel blackens entire pan surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh! That's very interesting. Going only by appearance, the bubbling oil in the frying process just appears to be hotter--or just more menacing. What's a way to gage if your sauteing heat is higher than frying temperature? (would placing the stove knob on medium be a way to roughly ensure your saute temp is lower than frying temp?)
Well you want your saute temp to be higher, not lower than frying temp. You you can gauge it by the dial on the stove.

the flavor of olive oil is really only present when used in salads/breads/etc (situations where EVOO is added after the cooking process), what is your reason for using EVOO as your primary cooking oil?
You are correct that the flavor of the EVOO is only really there when the oil is not heated significantly. The reason I use EVOO for just about everything is because I have found some very good EVOO's for very little money, so I am not concerned with wasting the good stuff when I won't really get the flavor benefits. If I were paying $20 a bottle then I would not be using it for high heat cooking. I would switch to canola or peanut or something like that.

Well you want your saute temp to be higher, not lower than frying temp. You you can gauge it by the dial on the stove.

I don't mean to divert this thread in a whole new direction but could you explain why saute temp needs to be higher than frying temp?

Thank you.

That is just how sauteing is done. It is a method of cooking which uses a small amount of fat with relatively high temperatures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom