Cooking with cast iron cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ST93

Assistant Cook
When I follow recipes, it may say to do something like saute shallots on moderately high heat (medium high, I assume) for five minutes, but I know if I do this, the shallots will burn. Does this happen because I'm using cast iron cookware? If I used stainless steel cookware would I be able to follow recipes more closely to the way they're written in the books? Is there a conversion factor between cast iron cookware and stainless steel cookware?

I'm not much of a cook at all, but here's what I've noticed recently having switched from old TFal to SS cookware. I don't need near as much flame to cook with or things will burn. Not unless I'm constantly hovering over that one pan shaking and stirring.
I've often wondered why recipes even give you a flame adjustment. Med-High heat on one stove may very well be at least hundreds of BTUs different than M-H heat on another stove. Dontcha think? I think they should just use terms like; cook quickly, cook slowly..... something more all encompassing to whatever type of heat you are cooking with.
But that's just my opinion :)

I'd just try it at a lower heat. I assume you are stirring occasionally while they saute.

Cast iron vs. SS shouldn't make too much of a difference once you get either one up to the right temp. The CI will take longer to heat up and willhold the heat longer than the SS.

To be honest, regardless of the cookware I'm using, I ALWAYS saute onions/shallots/garlic at a lower temp than a recipe states. Because everyone's stove & cookware are different, it's impossible for a recipe to give temps & times for sauteing chopped or minced vegetables without burning them. I'd rather saute lower & longer than risk burning.

And in fact, I also ALWAYS add garlic last & just give it a few quick turns before adding other ingredients. The time lengths given for sauteeing garlic are always way too hot & way too long. And once you've burned garlic, you have to start all over. There's no way to rescue that bitter burned taste.

Also, to add to what everyone already said, don't worry about the "5 minutes" thing. Cook them until they are done to the point you want them. That might take 5 minutes or it might take 2 minutes or it might take 10. Each stove and cooking situation is different.

Thanks

Michael Cook said:
Are you sauteing or pan frying?

I'm sauteing. But really, I could be doing any type of cooking when I notice recipes are 100% accurate due to various factors previously mentioned in the thread.

Interesting advice. It just reinforces what I've always known about following recipes - trust your instincts. Thanks.

ST93 said:
When I follow recipes, it may say to do something like saute shallots on moderately high heat (medium high, I assume) for five minutes, but I know if I do this, the shallots will burn. Does this happen because I'm using cast iron cookware? If I used stainless steel cookware would I be able to follow recipes more closely to the way they're written in the books? Is there a conversion factor between cast iron cookware and stainless steel cookware?

Try sweating instead of sauteing, I think a lot of people don't know the difference between frying, sauteeing or sweating. I find that cooking on a lower heat in a little oil (sweating) is the best method for cooking shallots. Its almost worthless cooking them on high heat due to the fact that they will burn. You can actually brown them by deglazing every so often (adding liquid like wine and cooking it down a little) I wouldn't do this in a cast iron pan though, especially on high heat, I have snapped a few cast iron pans in half doing that.

I like using aluminum, I know people say it causes things like Alsheimers, but it hasn't been proven. They may not be great for cooking acidic foods, but for pan frying or sauteeing, they work quite well. Stainless Steel I find is the best way to go for cooking acidic foods.

Cast iron heats up pretty quickly. Alumnium does too but I find it has a more even temperature through out the cooking surface. Stainless steel is great too bu I find it doesn't conduct heat as well as the other too, it has its uses and it might be your best bet for cooking your shallots.

OnlineCooking said:
I like using aluminum, I know people say it causes things like Alsheimers, but it hasn't been proven.

Or is it that you don't remember?
567.gif

Recipes are a guide. Stoves aren't always calibrated correctly. Yes, follow your instincts and follow what is actually happening in your pan, and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
I'd just try it at a lower heat. I assume you are stirring occasionally while they saute.

Cast iron vs. SS shouldn't make too much of a difference once you get either one up to the right temp. The CI will take longer to heat up and willhold the heat longer than the SS.

And How! I bought a new BBQ grill a few days ago. CharBroil Professional series with a cast iron cooking surface. Those bars were white hot after 6 or 7 minutes or warm-up. The best grill marks I've ever had too. I love the thing.

Sorry for being off topic....

RJ

I have to agree about the aluminum. I think you'll find you won't need to cook on such a high a heat and the heat distribution is far superior. Most commercial and professional kitchens prefer to use aluminum.

And just as a side note, aluminum has only been proven to affect those who already have Alzheimer's and does not cause it. I have a great article on my site that deals specifically with the health risk of aluminum cookware.

Back
Top Bottom