"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Cookware for a ceramic smooth top range?

Wife just got a GE smooth top range.
She has a lot of old copper bottom pans and
an old cast iron dutch oven.

The user manual said not to use these items.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Tri-ply stainless steel is good, as are aluminium pans with a non-stick coating, either teflon type or ceramic type. I use my cast iron skillets on my ceramic stove top, but I am very careful not to drop them or drag them. Porcelain coated cast iron works well too, but again, do not drop or drag.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Master Chef

Welcome to DC alray1989.

I don't know about the copper bottoms but the cast iron dutch oven should be fine as long as the bottom is not warped or has feet. I use my CI all the time on my ceramic stove. The thing is to be careful handling them. You don't want to drop them (breaks the stove top) and you want to try to not slide them around a lot (scratches the surface). One of my CI skillets even has the heat ring and still works wonderfully on my ceramic stovetop. I have an aluminum teflon griddle that doesn't work because the bottom is warped and only about half of the pan touches the burner. As long as the pan sits flat I'd use it. Not sure about the copper bottoms though and why they would say to not use them. Maybe someone else with experience with those pans will reply soon.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Here is a thread from a few years back about this topic:
Cookware for a Ceramic Smoothtop
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC! I agree with all the above. I too have a ceramic cooktop, and use cast iron, copper bottom, SS, etc. Main thing as mentioned is not to drop or drag stuff across it. I even use my canner on it.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I guess I'm the dissenter here. I got rid of the smooth, ceramic, top stove.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Welcome to DC! I agree with all the above. I too have a ceramic cooktop, and use cast iron, copper bottom, SS, etc. Main thing as mentioned is not to drop or drag stuff across it. I even use my canner on it.
Dawglover is entirely correct.

This cooktop is the best I've ever owned... And I never would have bought it . It came with the house

Use whatever suits you.

The manufacturer tells you not to use cast iron because they are on the dime for the warranty. Cast iron works perfectly
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Dawglover is entirely correct.

This cooktop is the best I've ever owned... And I never would have bought it . It came with the house

Use whatever suits you.

The manufacturer tells you not to use cast iron because they are on the dime for the warranty. Cast iron works perfectly
Thanks Jenny! What I also love about the ceramic is I can clean it with a razor blade and ceramic cooktop cleaner, and after many years, it still looks good as new.

A caveat, don't jump up and sit on it. One of my students did that with the stove at his parents' house and it broke the top.....
Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Tri-ply stainless steel is good, as are aluminium pans with a non-stick coating, either teflon type or ceramic type. I use my cast iron skillets on my ceramic stove top, but I am very careful not to drop them or drag them. Porcelain coated cast iron works well too, but again, do not drop or drag.
SS is a WotD. It's only fit for boiling things in plenty of water. Anything else sticks and burns however careful you are, especially eggs or anything with milk. And it doesn't matter how much you pay for it. I inherited a set that had cost in the region of 60 quid a piece and they were as bad as any cheap, thin ones in some of the furnished flats I've rented.

Stick with your CI or buy good quality aluminium if you must. As everyone says don't slam any pans down on the surface.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
SS is a WotD. It's only fit for boiling things in plenty of water. Anything else sticks and burns however careful you are, especially eggs or anything with milk. And it doesn't matter how much you pay for it. I inherited a set that had cost in the region of 60 quid a piece and they were as bad as any cheap, thin ones in some of the furnished flats I've rented.

Stick with your CI or buy good quality aluminium if you must. As everyone says don't slam any pans down on the surface.
I have to disagree about the SS. I am very fond of the Lagostina SS pots my DH bought in 1989 and I have been using since 1995. I don't find that stuff burns on it any more than with any other type of pot.

What does "WotD" stand for?

Tags
cook, cookware