"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
Master Chef

I used a grill pan on it and it was fine. I thought the pan was a waste of time though.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Glad to find this thread so I won't have to create a new one. I was hoping that someone could give me suggestions on whether to use my cast iron skillet and griddle on my new glass cooktop. My kids have asked me how I plan to make the homemade tortillas on this new range and I'm clueless. Should I just get an electric griddle instead to avoid scratching the glass cooktop? Thank you for your help.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #13
Master Chef

RTFM - Read The Furnished Manual that comes with your cooktop! It will tell you what type cookware you can and can't use.

For example - if your glass/ceramic cooktop is inductive - you must use pots/pans made from magnetic materails.

Some warn against using anything without a flat bottom - some older cast iron has a ring around the bottom edge of the pan that can cause overheating. We've talked about this several times before.

Some warn about pot material and size due to weight.

One thing that is universal is - if you don't want to scratch your glass/ceramic stovetop ... pick pots/pans up to move them - don't slide them across the surface.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thank you Michael. I did read about not sliding hot pans on the cooktop. I will keep looking to see what cookware I can and cannot use.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #15
Master Chef

Unless it's an induction cooktop, anything will work on it.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Our new house has a ceramic top stove. I hate it, but I'm too lazy to chuck it out and get a stove I'll like--mainly because it would require running a gas line into the kitchen and some remodeling of the counter space, due to what I will (eventually) replace it with being larger.

The instructions that come with it state to not use all sorts of stuff on it. It claims my cast iron stuff is bad for it. It says I shouldn't be using my All-Clad on it. I don't care, I use it all anyways. And best I can tell, there has been absolutely no effect on the stove at all.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I've been using all my same cookware on my ceramic top stove at the coast and so far, no problems. I bought it used so I didn't get the cleaner they come with. Since you mentioned that it's silicone, I'm wondering if it's the same stuff that you use to clean and remove scratches from DVDs and Plexiglass?
You can buy the cleaner just about any where its called Weiman glass cook top cleaner it comes in a small white bottle with a black label.Its great stuuf sometime a bit of elbow grease involved if something is burnt on.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef

One thing you never want is to use the aluminum from throw away pie pans or the disposable aluminum jiffy pop pans that type of aluminum will permanently scratch you glass top.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
One thing you never want is to use the aluminum from throw away pie pans or the disposable aluminum jiffy pop pans that type of aluminum will permanently scratch you glass top.

That surprises me. I'm not doubting your comment, just surprised, since alum. is such a soft metal. I would expect some alum scuff marks but not scratches.

Oh, well. Live and learn.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That surprises me. I'm not doubting your comment, just surprised, since alum. is such a soft metal. I would expect some alum scuff marks but not scratches.

Oh, well. Live and learn.
Just checked my manual actually it doesn't scratch but could leave permanent aluminum marks.It says also to clean metal marks from aluminum or copper pans before heating cook top again or they may not come off. The manual also says to remove sugar spills and soils from jellies and candy syrups as soon as possible as it can cause pitting on the glass.Dont know about anyone else but I read my manuals and keep them all together in a large drawer whether its a large appliance or an alarm clock I can find the manual.