Cookware for college student?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammie

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I've been spending the majority of my night researching cookware. I'm in college so I can't afford to spend more than $250 on a 12-18 piece cookware set. I will be using it alot to entertain so the look is important to me as well. I prefer stainless steel. I have a glass top stove so I know the pots and pans need to be flat. I don't believe I'm interested in non-stick because I do tend to use metal utensils to cook and I don't want to scratch the surface. The 1 item I cook the most is hamburgers, lol. So, I'm a little worried that not using non-stick surface would tear apart my burgers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm a novice when it comes to cookware.

I should also mention that, in case I don't get non-stick, I've thought about buying 1 nonstick pan for eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
question-did you base your decision to get SS cookware from actually using SS or on reading other's suggestions.

Since you're in college is your kitchen shared by other students (like in a dorm) or are you in your own apartment (and do you have roommates?)? The utensils in shared kitchens - especially dorms - get used, abused and stolen by others.

Do you only need pots and pans or do you need other kitchen stuff?

What kind of cooking do you do? What do you like to eat? How much of your cooking demands the oven as well as the stove top?

How many ppl would you want to entertain and how often? Is the look of your pots and pans really important for entertaining (that is, do you like to have a buffet where ppl serve themselves)?

Lastly, it is unlikely you need a 12-18 piece cookware set. You'll end up with pots you seldom use. Figure out what you need to cook and then spend your budget on that. You'll be able to get better quality cookware that way.

Sam's and Costco have very good quality "knockoffs" of AllClad for about $200.
Or go to Amazon and shop for some of their cookware sets. Cuisinart makes a nice set. Shop on amazon on their Friday Sale. Or in the Outlet or Today's Deals on other days.
I will say that I have the non-stick Calphalon knockoff from Sam's and I absolutely LOVE it--have used it hard for probably 6 years now. It is a much better non-stick than regular "stuff". It is not difficult to care for. But one non-stick pan is a good thing.

subfuscpersona said:
Since you're in college is your kitchen shared by other students (like in a dorm) or are you in your own apartment (and do you have roommates?)? The utensils in shared kitchens - especially dorms - get used, abused and stolen by others.

I could not agree more. When having roommates, it is always very tricky. No matter how many times you tell them, you will almost always catch them with a fork stabbing into your expensive cookware.

I am 100% for expensive cookware, but don't do it until you know you can keep it the way you want it for life..

-Brad

You'll probably want 1 skillet--at least 10 inches across. And 1 saucepan--3 or 4 quarts is a good size. With these two items, you can cook most stovetop recipes, and have food to share with roomies. They don't have to match.

Look in the "clearance" items on Amazon. They have good specials on Analon Titanium right now--a harder non-stick that is dishwasher safe if you use liquid (gel) detergent, just in case you have a dishwasher someday. It's also very easy to clean by hand. I used this for a number of years, until health reasons forced me to give up on non-stick. Get a hard plastic/nylon spatula and spoon, too.

Hopefully the cookware you buy now will serve you for a few post-college years, too. Good luck!

Buy THIS plus THIS and you will have all the cookware you'll need as a college student, even if you decide to go to graduate school. Excellent quality, unbeatable price. Again, trust me. I have just about every tri-ply piece Le Gourmet Chef makes, I have had them all for over five years now, and I have never had a problem or complaint, and I am one hard guy to please. Ask any of my ex-wives.

Oh, you will also want a set of stainless steel utensils for the SS pots and pans, a set of nylon utensils for the non-stick, and a set of measuring cups and spoons, stainless steel recommended over plastic.

I buy my nylon utensils at the 99¢ store, so if they break or melt, or my kitchen motif changes, I just throw them away and buy new ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom