"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have both stainless and nonstick, no cast iron except my enameled dutch ovens. I use the nonstick most of the time, and it holds up well with proper care. I don't see any problem with not using metal utensils, since I have virtually nothing but wood, nylon or silicone anyway.

I don't have cast iron because my wife doesn't like the weight. As long as I can make what I want to make without it, I'm happy.

Stainless is great when used properly, but it is a bit more tricky to keep foods from sticking to it. You can go wrong with both too little heat and too much. Once you get used to it, it's great.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I have both stainless and nonstick, no cast iron except my enameled dutch ovens. I use the nonstick most of the time, and it holds up well with proper care. I don't see any problem with not using metal utensils, since I have virtually nothing but wood, nylon or silicone anyway.

I don't have cast iron because my wife doesn't like the weight. As long as I can make what I want to make without it, I'm happy.

Stainless is great when used properly, but it is a bit more tricky to keep foods from sticking to it. You can go wrong with both too little heat and too much. Once you get used to it, it's great.
I have a Wearever nonstick skillet that's about 15 years old and still going strong. This was when they advertised it as "safe for use with metal utensils" it has lived up to it's durability claims. It does have a few scratches but not enough to really damage the nonstick surface, it's fully intact. If I knew that it would last this long, I would have bought one in every size!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #13
Head Chef

Cookware 101

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

You didn't say how many people are in your household. If it is just you, I would get a 6" or 8" cast iron skillet, a 4 or 6 qt stainless steel dutch oven, a stainless steel skillet. A 3-4 qt stainless steel pot with a lid. A small roaster pan--go to the thrift store, I've picked up several there for next to nothing. If you must, a non-stick skillet, but the CI should suffice once seasoned properly.

If two people, I'd get a 10" CI skillet, go with the 6 qt SS DO, and a 10 " SS skillet, a 6 qt SS pot with a lid and a roaster pan that will hold a 3-4 lb chicken.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

How do you clean your stainless? I used a large skillet for the first time. Followed directions. The food was amazing but it has a stain in the bottom. I used BarKeeper's but still there. Nothing burned on it but there it is!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, DragonflyCooking. Welcome to Discuss Cooking

Check out this thread for some ideas: Stains on stainless steel frying pan
Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Thank you! I guess I will be heading to the store for BKF. I have some for it's the liquid one and doesn't seem to do the job.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Stainless is the workhorse of my kitchen. I have a few non-stick skillets for certain things. I also have some cast iron. Stainless gets the biggest workout in my kitchen.
Pretty much this.

There is a barely rebuttable presumption that you want to use pans that do not flavor a dish with product cooked in it previously.

The gold standard is, and always will be, tin-lined copper next is stainless-lined copper and after that restaurant-grade triply with a tie for certain techniques with restaurant-grade disk bottom stainless. After this then high carbon steel pans for searing not associated with a resulting pan reduction or pan sauce. Enameled cast iron rounds out the list.

Bare cast iron is way, way down on the list, as is bare aluminum both of which one trusts for obvious reasons.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I think my pans are copper bottomed stainless. Also have cast iron.
I also have some cast aluminum. One nonstick griddle. And whatever stockpots are made of.
And all kinds of bakeware.

Now on what you should get... a few questions.
How many people?
What is your budget?
Do you like to cook?

Tags
cook, cookware