"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cookware - what to buy?

Suppose you had no decent cookware what would you get CI, stainless or aluminum? Just lost!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Head Chef

All of the above + some non-stick. I always like going to a restaurant supply store for all things in the kitchen. Unless your looking for a set.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree with S&P.

More specifically, I'd get one or two cast iron skillets. You can get Lodge pre-seasoned for very short money. They will last forever.

Non-stick - an 8" skillet made of fairly thick aluminum coated with a teflon product. Great for fried and scrambled eggs and omelets. While you can use CI for eggs, flipping eggs with CI takes a really strong wrist. I go cheap here. I recently bought a three skillet set (8", 10", 12") of teflon on aluminum at Costco for $25. They will last me dozen years then I'll replace them.

For everyday pots and pans, I recommend tri-ply stainless steel. All major manufacturers offer them. I consider this type of cookware superior to 'disk on the bottom' cookware.

Enameled cast iron such as LeCrueset. I'd get a 7-quart french oven for braises and stews.

Also consider a carbon steel wok for stir-fries. Another low cost item.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
What S&P and Andy said. We have tons of cast iron and love, love, love it. It's versatile and virtually indestructible. There's rarely a week that goes by that one piece or another isn't pressed into service in our house.

I also endorse the restaurant supply store suggestion. They are great places for good-quality things, along with a huge selection in most cases. The prices are more than acceptable, too.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH View Post
Suppose you had no decent cookware what would you get CI, stainless or aluminum? Just lost!
A non-stick milk pan for making milk based sauces and scrambling eggs, Heavy, non-stick frying pan/skillet. I wouldn't bother with anything else in non-stick. Make them good non-stick not the cheap stuff which peels off as soon as you look at it (and always use wooden utensils to avoid damaging the non stick). For everything else I prefer enamelled cast iron as it covers everything you want to use and is "accidentally" non-stick without having to have that nasty coating. I have 3 in different sizes.

As an extra I would have a good quality aluminium omelette pan. Mine is 8"=inches diameter as I only cook omelettes for one. (Not non-stick).

I also have a small (serves 4) enamelled casserole dish with a lid (aka dutch oven or stew pot) with a lid that can be used as a cooking vessel for recipes that need a shallow ovenproof dish.

You don't really need 2 sizes of paella pans, a dutch oven that serves 12 people, 25 assorted cake baking tins, 6 baking sheets and 5 different sized roasting pans.....Oh dear, I really must have a sort out!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Stainless is the workhorse of my kitchen. I have a few non-stick skillets for certain things. I also have some cast iron. Stainless gets the biggest workout in my kitchen.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My set is similar to Bakechef's. I have several of each type, with SS being the workhorse.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I just ordered a set of stainless for my mom, she really liked my set, so I got her one similar. I also got her a couple non-stick. She's going to have a well outfitted kitchen when I'm done!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks to all

I had some non-stick pans but everything stuck to them and had lost hope. I thought there was a better solution for all my cooking needs but I guess not
Old 03-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I stick with cast iron for most things, all my CI is just well seasoned and just as (if not more) non-stick than teflon. I have a large stainless stock pot and a simple aluminum pot for either boiling water or making stocks.

With CI, there is no concern over what utensils can be used, easy to clean, easy to care for, and lasts a lifetime or a few (most of ours was inherited)

Tags
cook, cookware