"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage View Post
Well, good. I'll cook something in that pot today. I will probably buy the set from Rocky Mountain but not yet. In June I'll visit a city that has Williams Sonoma and I would like to see and handle some Mauviel. It looks great on their web site. W-S does not show any tin-lined pieces on theirs. I also wrote to deHillerin in Paris for a quote on some pieces. So we shall see.

I thought the re-tinning would include polishing, but Rocky Mountain gives an additional rate for polishing ($2.50 per inch).
E Dehellerin is a retailer and not a manufacturer of copper cookware. Most people believe that Maviel currently produces Dehellerin copper cookware. They have been in business a long time. I have a piece of Dehellerin that was made in the 1870's. Since they are a retailer, I don't know of an outlet in the US. Shipping to the US is expensive.

The price quoted by Rocky Mountain for retinning includes polishing. The $2.50 you saw on the site is a price for polishing only.

Also note that Rocky Mountain measures inches as length x height. Some other tinners measure length + height + height. If you are price shopping, be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Yes, I knew DeHellerin was a retailer. I was in France two years ago and wish I had gone there. Their on-line prices are a lot lower than anything in the US, so I'll see what the shipping adds to it.

I will use Rocky Mountain for re-tinning. I cooked in that pot yesterday and something wonderful happened. I'm at 7000' and techniques that work at sea level just don't work here. VERY difficult to get a real simmer because water boils at lower temp (135 is what I've heard) and all the liquid boils away, requiring constant replenishment unless you want to throw a quart of liquid in and let the food swim around. But yesterday I browned two boneless porkchops and cooked them with onion and two potatoes in 1/2 cup beer. Instead of drying, a wonderful juicy sauce was produced and no more liquid needed. I did put the pan on a cast iron heat diffuser, trying for a low simmer, but it was unusual to get such moist cooking. So, I suppose it was the pan.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I've found a few used copper pieces with the DeHillerin mark. Have they always sold items manufactured by someone else but with their mark? Gosh, I envy that 1870s piece!

Tags
copper, france, hoan, tin lined