"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Head Chef

I think that you have it backwards. Darker metals do not transfer heat better, but hold heat longer. Copper, on the other hand, heats up and cools down much faster than carbon, the black stuff on the bottom of your pan, or cast iron, another dark metal. This is why the best copper comes with cast iron handles. I boil water for coffee in a copper pan, then pick it up by the cast iron handle. Handle it will be only warm. Once it gets hot, however, like putting it in an oven, it will remain hot much longer. I get the residue of last nights meal out of the interior of the pan by soaking overnight, or wiping it out soon after cooking, or both. I don't want last nights sauce in tonights potatos.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #12
Master Chef

I had Revere ware as did my mother and one of my substitute moms. We scrubbed the living daylights out of it and it never wore out. As a matter of fact, my Revere ware lives next door, and some of it is 40+ years old. I think my mom's Revere lives with a cousin. the only reason I parted with mine (and my mom parted with hers) was that it didn't do well on glass-topped electric stoves. I now have a Sitram set I'm very happy with (it is now 8 years old, give or take). My neighbor has a gas stove and she's very happy with my old Revere, and as far as I know, my cousin is happy with my mom's. One time one of those old pots wound up on my stove for hours and the burned residue I thought was eternal. I took the pot and threw it into a snowbank. I intended on just throwing it away, but took the time to clean it and guess what? It is one of the pots that live next door. Cleaned up just fine, after quite literally being on the stove overnight with heaven knows what in it. The copper finish came through, the interior stainless steel did as well. I really don't remember what I was cooking that got out of control (it was one of our temporary quarters and I thought I'd turned off the stove).

Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

The clean copper conducts better than the dirt or oxide on copper. But if left without contact it will radiate more heat into the space around it if it's darker and rougher. Woodstoves are more efficient if sprayed black due to the radiance. If you're applying heat to bottom of copper pot using electric coils in which it's mainly contact heat, or conduction, then the cleaner the copper the more heat transfer. From a radiant heat source underneath, I guess you'd have to measure and compare, as there's always some conduction, and some radiation involved.

i agree with you, clean out the saucepans, who wants last nights flavors today, but the grilling pans like steak searing pans, i tend to let them mellow a bit, not a whole lot, as need the conduction to sear the meat so the surface cannot be too thickly coated or will not transfer the heat as well.
Bob
Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I had Revere ware as did my mother and one of my substitute moms. We scrubbed the living daylights out of it and it never wore out. As a matter of fact, my Revere ware lives next door, and some of it is 40+ years old. I think my mom's Revere lives with a cousin. the only reason I parted with mine (and my mom parted with hers) was that it didn't do well on glass-topped electric stoves. I now have a Sitram set I'm very happy with (it is now 8 years old, give or take). My neighbor has a gas stove and she's very happy with my old Revere, and as far as I know, my cousin is happy with my mom's. One time one of those old pots wound up on my stove for hours and the burned residue I thought was eternal. I took the pot and threw it into a snowbank. I intended on just throwing it away, but took the time to clean it and guess what? It is one of the pots that live next door. Cleaned up just fine, after quite literally being on the stove overnight with heaven knows what in it. The copper finish came through, the interior stainless steel did as well. I really don't remember what I was cooking that got out of control (it was one of our temporary quarters and I thought I'd turned off the stove).
There have probably been at least as much high quality food produced in Revere Ware as any other brand. I used it for years, not to say that the end product was high quality. My biggest complaint was that it would not go directly from stovetop to oven as the handles would not take the heat. Mine was recycled to a couple just starting out with very little money. Still in use. Each of the materials have their merits and disadvantages, and whatever works for you is what you should use. My best advice to those contemplating new cookware is to purchase and use a starter pan before buying that 30 piece set. You may not like it for whatever reason.