"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
Head Chef
Robo, thats a great post, thank you. I am going to take time to rereat it, rather than skim, which I just did, so I'll reread and look at the different options. Falk are the ones I have been drooling over for a while :)

In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Falk sells directly in the UK and Italy (as well as France Germany and the US) They have excellent customer service. I have many of their pans and highly recommend them.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
wow, thank you for all the very informative replies. i am in the process of reading through them now, as well as all the links that were provided. i believe that i'll stay away from the dishwasher for now. thanks again!

7romanstatesmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef

. i think it's stainless steel on the inside (the surface is covered with circular scores that resemble machined metal, not suggesting that it is, that's just the best way to describe it). i only want to avoid corroding it due to some unforseen effect of dishwashing detergent, or some other condition found inside dishwashers. all imput is appreciated, thanks!

I think I have a definitive answer for you from your above description. I have a catalana from Portugal that is copper and with the above described "pattern". The interior is tin.

Mine says:Our copperware is made from the highest quality copper. The inside is tin to probide the ideal cominaton of heat conductin and a hygienic, practicl cooking surface.

1.never place the copperware ona flame in oven without liquid or grease inside
2.never use excessive heas
Never use metal tools for stirring. Plastic or wooden
Nevr use steel wool, abrasive powder/liquid or antything that will scratch and damge iether the copper or tin surface.

To remove lacquer
Use a pot with enough water sothe copperwar may be immersed completely. Bring water to a boil and dissolve baking soda (1TBS/qt.) . Immerse the copper in the boiling water for about 15 minutes.Do half at a time if your pot is too big for the water pan. The lacquer should begin to peel off. If it is stubborn, acetone will remove it.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
MetroKitchen has a good selection of Mauviel copper cookware which is very nice. Here's a link to their copper cookware care page.
CookingBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef
THe Catalana instructions are correct. And I simply can't understand a company laquering a cooking pot. They obviously believe that for export purposes, their ware is for decor in most homes. I just don't buy laquered copper after seeing my mom deal with a teakettle back in the 60s. Anyway, if you intend to use your copper for cooking, try to find unlaquered. Look for tarnish! lol)
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
Exclamation Tin lined copper cookware

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that I recently purchased some tin lined pans from Lara Copper, a Tasmanian company mentioned here - great looking hand made product but don't be fooled.. although I carefully followed their directions - low flame, no metal utensils etc. After heating both butter & oil for 2 minutes, then 3 minutes per side (I used a timer for this) for a thin schnitzel, I was horrified that the tin lining had melted! It's lucky I have good eyes, as there was actual molten tin on my schnitzel & at first I thought this was moisture.

If your pan is tin lined, I'd be extremely careful. And if you're purchasing any more, I'd do what I'm going to do and spend the extra on the Mauviel stainless lined pans.

Also, you can learn from my experience: Dont buy Lara Copper saucepans - the owner was extremely rude to me when I suggested his product was dangerous; only 8 minutes on a low flame uncovered - imagine if I'd used the lid for a sauce that I couldn't see the melted tin in!! The man is clearly proud of his product, but to put your pride above others' health is beyond comprehension. Also, If u read the small print on these pans, they state they're 2mm thick INCLUDING the tin lining, which is lathered on by hand - essentially, if you look up close, there's very little copper in them.

Thanks to others for their list of various manufacturers. Unfortunately I'm going to have to eat the 300$ I spent already and spend a whole lot more though *sigh..

Peggy Night is offline   Reply With Quote