"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPiccolo5 View Post
James -- sounds like the 80s Cuisinart stuff is a dream!

On the other hand, I myself do care a little about what it looks like, and i don't like Sitram much... Don't get me wrong -- if it were the only stuff that was good, I'd take it even if I didn't like the looks.
The funny thing about that Cuisinart is that it was also dirt cheap. I believe the seven piece starter set was only about $200 with a big stock pot, an eleven inch skillet, a saute pan and two sauce pans.

The Sitram really is ugly...but it does cook wonderfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
IMO you dont need a Mauviel skillet to make a grilled cheese.
My favorite for grilled cheese is a sixty year old cast iron griddle that I inherited. I know what I'm having for lunch.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

you will get a fine product from AllClad whether you choose stainless or d5. The Mauviel ss is very fine too.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I think I've decided to try out All-Clad d5.

The thing is, it's a lot cheaper than Demeyere (which I think is too heavy for me, anyway) or Mauviel stainless. Maybe when I make a registry for my wedding, we'll put something else on it, but with my money, I'll try the "cheaper" one, haha. And we're talking about All-Clad. This is too funny.

Tim
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Senior Cook

The 10" All Clad frypan is ideal for medium amounts of cooking. Make sure it is made in the US, not China. Some of the 8" fry pans are made in China as bonus gifts. I love All Clad and invested last year before they begin making everything in China of low grade materials and shoddy workmanship. There is a 3 qt cassoloute (spelling not quite right here) with two handles that I use for everything from soups to sauce to sauted chicken. Also, the 8 qt heavy pot ($200 on sale) is the best for making canning batches of tomato sauce or chutney or jam. They also have a 1 qt or 2 qt saucier that is ideal for melting butter and making sauces.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Our best recent experience has been with Demeyere; not Allclad.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Yes Demeyere looks like a step up from All Clad. But for me, the All Clad was a step up from some 40 year old Farberware and some heavy copper-bottom cookware bought at a close out sale a few years ago. If you had to choose between a piece of Demeyere and a piece of copper Mauviel or Baumalu, which would you choose?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #17
Head Chef

If you had to choose between a piece of Demeyere and a piece of copper Mauviel or Baumalu, which would you choose?

IMO this is an apples and oranges question. It depends on what your needs are. Copper and stainless will get the job done. Mauviel copper and Demeyre are both high quality cookware nd if properly cared for, will last a lifetime. Balumalu not so much. The Balumalu I have seen is fairly light consumer grade. Copper cookware is a joy to cook with, and I use it nearly exclusively. However, it does require more care than any other cookware. If others are going to use your cookware, I think you will find that the interior will not last as it is difficult to keep the metal utensils and scrub pads out of it. Before spending a ton of money, I would get a piece or two of each, and decide for yourself which is best for you.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Thanks for the response. Good advice. While looking around at copper cookware, I found mention (on another cooking site) of Falk made in Belgium. It's 2.5 mm with thin stainless lining, cast iron handles. They have some rounded shapes that I like, similar to the Demeyere conical pot and my All Clad cassoulette that is so useful. Price is similar to Mauviel.

The site offers a "try out" piece, a 1.5 qt Falk Copper Sauciére at a reduced price, so I ordered it. It's a nice size and the stainless interior means I can use a wire wisk. I'll use wooden and bamboo with the tin-lined pot from ebay. I am the guardian of my cookwear.

Maybe I will replace the 40 year old Farberwear 12" skillet with Demeyere.

Here is a picture of the Falk piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	falk tryme piece.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	8068