"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Corning Ware

Guess I have outlived or over used my Corning Ware. Just when I got new casserole dish lid fell off and broke into million pieces. Could someone recommend casserole dish size they feel most practical? My dishes were starting to get so many scratches on them. Only used soft brush and cloth for washing no dishwasher. Besides looking on eBay is there some other reasonable source or would you just take what they have at stores? I don't think one can get around buying something for less when you seem to use it on everyday meal. When you have something so dependable kind of hate to part with it. Lot of memories and successful meals I thought the one I used the most was 11" casserole dish. Does anyone have this size that they use? Thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #2

Sorry, I gave all my Corningware, except for the pie pans, loaf dishes, and square and round cake baking dishes to my auntie about 10 years ago.

This was after I bought all this Le Creuset, Copco, Cousances, and Descoware enameled cast iron cookware.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I use a lot of Pyrex (glass) dishes. I find them very practical (you can see through them) and they are pretty easy to clean after a soak - they just wipe clean.

And they are inexpensive (a bonus if you're prone to breakages like me!!)

Sara

"Cheese makes life worth living." - me
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thanks

Pyrex that has been around long time too. Sara you say yours doesn't break? They do have pyrex with lids don't they? Maybe I should investigate that. Seems like I put everything in them with the lid on. I have pyrex but only bowls and casserole dishes with no lids.

LeCreuset is really out of my budget. One thing they wouldn't break would they? They will be here when you aren't. Seem to last forever. Good investment.

Thanks for your suggestions. Still have to get Cuisinart Food Processor. Tired of dicing myself. Especially onions.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:32 PM   #5

In the Kitchen, why don't you check ebay for either Copco, Descoware, or Cousances enameled cast iron.

You would be surprised at how cheap they are. Pick an unpopular color like brown and avocado green -- they are cheaper.

Copco is even heavier than Le Creuset!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I've broken a Pyrex before, unfortunately. My husband and I are still debating whose it was. :) They are pretty sturdy though, and they supposedly withstand large ranges in temperature.

Yes, my casserole Pyrex has a lid on it. It's pretty handy for storing leftovers, or even cooking with the lid. And they are easy to find in most stores.

Yes, Le Creuset are very nice sets. My mother had a putrid orange set when I was growing up. I think she still might have it. Yikes!

Sara

Old 03-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara
Yes, Le Creuset are very nice sets. My mother had a putrid orange set when I was growing up. I think she still might have it. Yikes!

Sara
Believe it or not, but the putrid orange/flame color is still very popular today on the new and the secondary markets.

If your mom still has it, you would be well served if you ask her for it.

If you don't want it, I do!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hahaha - I suppose I should!

Sara

Old 03-24-2005, 10:01 PM   #9
Master Chef

IMHO ... check your local WalMart, K-Mart, and Target stores. You're probably not going to find it (Pyrex or Corning Ware) any cheaper online .. by the time you figure in shipping&mangling.

Yes, it's sturdy stuff .. but you can break it.

What sizes? Check the recipes you make and see what size dishes they call for ... those are the sizes you need.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

[QUOTE=choclatechef] Believe it or not, but the putrid orange/flame color ...QUOTE]

PUTRID!?!?!?!?!?

I have a flame dutch oven and I resent that comment

What's wrong with a little color in the kitchen?