Corning Ware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Guess I have outlived or over used my Corning Ware. Just when I got new casserole dish lid fell off and broke into million pieces. Could someone recommend casserole dish size they feel most practical? My dishes were starting to get so many scratches on them. Only used soft brush and cloth for washing no dishwasher. Besides looking on eBay is there some other reasonable source or would you just take what they have at stores? I don't think one can get around buying something for less when you seem to use it on everyday meal. When you have something so dependable kind of hate to part with it. Lot of memories and successful meals I thought the one I used the most was 11" casserole dish. Does anyone have this size that they use? Thanks

Sorry, I gave all my Corningware, except for the pie pans, loaf dishes, and square and round cake baking dishes to my auntie about 10 years ago.

This was after I bought all this Le Creuset, Copco, Cousances, and Descoware enameled cast iron cookware.

I use a lot of Pyrex (glass) dishes. I find them very practical (you can see through them) and they are pretty easy to clean after a soak - they just wipe clean.

And they are inexpensive (a bonus if you're prone to breakages like me!!)

Sara

Thanks

Pyrex that has been around long time too. Sara you say yours doesn't break? They do have pyrex with lids don't they? Maybe I should investigate that. Seems like I put everything in them with the lid on. I have pyrex but only bowls and casserole dishes with no lids.

LeCreuset is really out of my budget. One thing they wouldn't break would they? They will be here when you aren't. Seem to last forever. Good investment.

Thanks for your suggestions. Still have to get Cuisinart Food Processor. Tired of dicing myself. Especially onions.

In the Kitchen, why don't you check ebay for either Copco, Descoware, or Cousances enameled cast iron.

You would be surprised at how cheap they are. Pick an unpopular color like brown and avocado green -- they are cheaper.

Copco is even heavier than Le Creuset!

I've broken a Pyrex before, unfortunately. My husband and I are still debating whose it was. :) They are pretty sturdy though, and they supposedly withstand large ranges in temperature.

Yes, my casserole Pyrex has a lid on it. It's pretty handy for storing leftovers, or even cooking with the lid. And they are easy to find in most stores.

Yes, Le Creuset are very nice sets. My mother had a putrid orange set when I was growing up. I think she still might have it. Yikes!

Sara

Sara said:
Yes, Le Creuset are very nice sets. My mother had a putrid orange set when I was growing up. I think she still might have it. Yikes!

Sara

:ermm: :cool: Believe it or not, but the putrid orange/flame color is still very popular today on the new and the secondary markets.

If your mom still has it, you would be well served if you ask her for it.

If you don't want it, I do!

IMHO ... check your local WalMart, K-Mart, and Target stores. You're probably not going to find it (Pyrex or Corning Ware) any cheaper online .. by the time you figure in shipping&mangling.

Yes, it's sturdy stuff .. but you can break it.

What sizes? Check the recipes you make and see what size dishes they call for ... those are the sizes you need.

choclatechef said:
:ermm: :cool: Believe it or not, but the putrid orange/flame color ...QUOTE]

PUTRID!?!?!?!?!?:ohmy:

I have a flame dutch oven and I resent that comment:angry: :angry:

What's wrong with a little color in the kitchen?

I specifically waited for the flame color to go on sale. I held out for over a year until i found it for a great price. I LOVE that color :)

Andy M. said:
choclatechef said:
:ermm: :cool: Believe it or not, but the putrid orange/flame color ...QUOTE]

PUTRID!?!?!?!?!?:ohmy:

I have a flame dutch oven and I resent that comment:angry: :angry:

What's wrong with a little color in the kitchen?

Nothing Allen! I guess you missed my teeny bit of sarcasm. :shock:

I actually have both flame and yellow enameled cast iron!

They are my main color accents in my kitchen. :chef:

If I wait LONG enough I get it. Went to the store to return the smoothie appliance and saw Corning Ware on sale. Almost less than half price. I could not believe it. Used the refund from smoothie to buy Corning Ware that I really missed. I know Who to thank for this good fortune and I am truly grateful. At a price I could afford. Thanks for all your input. I do so appreciate your understanding.

I'm a big pyrex fan, the clear stuff, and there is a French manufacturer that makes similar (but prettier) stuff -- something line ancorac (help me here, folks). The clear glass makes it so that you can go from oven to table without it looking tacky.

mudbug said:
Whew! Nobody mentioned Harvest Gold or Avocado Green.

My moms kitchen was avacado green!! She still has a wall mounted double oven that is that color! It was crazy, the dishwasher, fridge, floor, wallpaper, & backslpash were all avacado green!!

ITK, you can check to see if there is a Corning Ware Outlet near you. I have found great buys at those places.

You know, even though I said I liked enameled cast iron, there are some things that I can't do without that are actually Corningware!

Does anybody but me remember the little blue flower or spice of life Corning pie pans, cake pans, and loaf pans?

They are staples in my baking center.

Like these? I have a bunch.

e2_2.JPG

I started a "hope chest" and one of the things that was set aside for marriage was a set of Pyrex dishes..it is a stackable set of 4. one is yellow. then a long blue and two small red ones sit on top..these were purchased in 1951! I use the yellow one all the time..the others are in the back of my cupboard and I forget about them.

I also have a Westing House mixer that has a juice attachment on top that I bought at the same time..it is put away but it came with two glass bowls that are oven proof and I use those all the time. It is still in working condition.

Back
Top Bottom