Corning Ware baking dishes, too harshly cleaned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Does anyone still have Corning Ware 10" square casserole dishes (both deep and shallow) from way back when? I still have my mom's from 30 years ago. It kept getting harder to clean, so I used one of those green 3M scour pads and some non-scratch Comet cleanser to get baked on stains out after each baking.

I'm not sure if the shiny glaze just wore off after 30 years, it's gone. The inside of the dish is completely unshiny now. Baking residue/stains are hard to remove without scrubing hard. Using Comet and a 3M scour pad got rid of after baking stains. That was the only thing that would do the job.

I just ebayed the same vintage replacement ($30) that I hope still has a shiny glaze to it.

I won't scour this one with a 3M pad and Comet (yes, now I know, bad idea). I'll use EZ OFF instead.

When Corning Ware casserole dishes get completely dull inside to the extent you see greyish at the bottom, it's time to toss it. Cooking stains can be removed only by using Comet, which further destroys the sheen.

Just sharing a lesson learned.

Last edited:
We have three (also inherited) of the 10 x 10, a shallow, medium and deep along with the detachable handle. Based on our experience with a corning ware coffee pot we try to confine our cleaning of the casserole dishes to soaking and 'scouring' with baking soda. Next time we have a problem I think I'll test a little bonami on the outside bottom but I suspect even bonami will dull the glaze. We wouldn't buy any more of this 'space age material; would rather put the money towards some Villeroy & Boch.

Last edited:
Would it be very costly to just buy a new one or are they no longer available?

We visit a Corning/Revere Ware outlet store from time to time and they have just about everything there.

I have a Corning 8"x8" and 9"x13" I've had for several years, so I use spray non-stick or wipe it with butter for most of its use, and then clean it thoroughly with a Teflon pad so the stains don't bake into it next time its used.

I agree with justplainbill - baking soda. I use it on anything I don't want scratched. It's also really good for getting rid of cooked on grease on pots and pans.

My corningware is pretty trashed with scratches and the like after many years of use.I just soak it and and it cleans easy. Is mine not bad enough yet or something? I really like how easy it cleans.

I agree with justplainbill - baking soda. I use it on anything I don't want scratched. It's also really good for getting rid of cooked on grease on pots and pans.
Baking soda is a wonderful substance and it's good for my Church & Dwight stock. :) and it helps brown up baked products and it's drainage system friendly.

Last edited:
Baking soda is a wonderful substance and it's good for my Church & Dwight stock. :) and it helps brown up baked products and it's drainage system friendly.

What is "Church & Dwight stock"?

And don't get me started on baking soda ;) Clean the stainless steel sink, put out small kitchen fires, brush teeth, soak smells and stains out of thermoses, take tea and coffee stains out of cups, etc., etc., etc.

What is "Church & Dwight stock"?

And don't get me started on baking soda ;) Clean the stainless steel sink, put out small kitchen fires, brush teeth, soak smells and stains out of thermoses, take tea and coffee stains out of cups, etc., etc., etc.
NYSE symbol = CHD 10/13 closing price $69.66 (USD)

Last edited:
Damn, they're a lot easier to clean if the dish surface inside has some sheen.
I'm not sure when my Corning Ware vintage casserole surface lost it's sheen. When Corning Ware casserole dishes lose their sheen/glaze, baking fumes lock into the surface.

Once you have a clean shiny surface (I hope with my ebay bought P-10-B dish), EZ OFF Fume Free cleaner out performs Baking soda. Hands free cleaning. I coat the whole dish with EZ Off occasionally.

Baking soda?

Last edited:
I have a partail set of the cornflower ones (largge, med, and small and the individula size) and I've found that soaking and baking soda work the best. My Mom used to use Brillo and SOS pads and I have seem the damage they can do. I won't allow them in my kitchen!

I alway spray the dished with cooking spray before using and that helps a lot. Are the really going for $30 these days? I guess they are considered "collectables" these days.

Back
Top Bottom