"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Master Chef

Could this be really true?

https://www.gothamsteel.com/?gclid=C...7d_RoCgM_w_wcB

I would not mind pan like this if it was true. Somehow I have my doubts. Also it is weird size, 9". Aren't pans usually 8,10 and 12 "?

Old 02-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Charlie, I saw an ad for it the other day. I have heard consistently negative reports on ceramic pans. Any nonstick properties don't seem to last very long at all.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
Master Chef

I would try this first.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
Proud American

Joyce and Aunty and Mamma always say, "Never use a pan that is not pure."

I have never understood these non-stick pans. The coating can come off of these but with regular stainless steel and cast iron pans, just a bit of a spray of Pam and it it well!

Also, perhaps not using high heat of these is well, yes?

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

I stay away from those "as seen on TV" products. I have a few Teflon pans I use mainly for omelettes and like them. As long as care is taken with them and super high heat isn't used, they last a good while. I don't use any kind of non stick spray like Pam on my cast iron, I don't like the residue it leaves and they don't need it anyway.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Master Chef

Cheryl, you are so right about the proper care of those kinds of pans contributing to long life. I love T-fal products, at least their older ones. The one I have and use often enough was bought pre-1990. Our daughter actually has and uses the first griddle we got, back in 1974. Now THAT was a tough non-stick finish! Don't use metal, don't overheat, don't need to replace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would try this first....
I suppose you have to retreat the pan each time you use it, since washing probably takes the coconut oil coating off the pan. Have you tried this yet, AuntBea?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I stay away from those "as seen on TV" products. I have a few Teflon pans I use mainly for omelettes and like them. As long as care is taken with them and super high heat isn't used, they last a good while. I don't use any kind of non stick spray like Pam on my cast iron, I don't like the residue it leaves and they don't need it anyway.
Agreed on all counts
Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I actually have that same pan, so I can speak from experience.

No, I didn't buy it. I was thinking about getting an induction stove, so DW got me a small induction burner at Christmas so I could try it out first. That copper colored pan was a 'free gift' included in the box.

Because of it, I have since replaced my two Teflon style skillets with ceramic ones. They really are better at non-stick. That particular pan is not the best representation of them, as it's coating seems thinner and less durable than the others I have. It has scratched and the surface has discolored (darkened) a bit. But the ones I bought are great for their purpose.

All that stuff they show you like eggs and cheese really works. I haven't badly burnt anything in them, so I can't attest to that, but in every other way I find them superior to Teflon.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I suppose you have to retreat the pan each time you use it, since washing probably takes the coconut oil coating off the pan. Have you tried this yet, AuntBea?
I have done it using vegetable shortening on an 8" Cuisinart skillet that I found in the local thrift shop, it creates a coating similar to the seasoning on a cast iron pan. If you use the treated pan for things like pancakes, frying an egg, etc... and give it a quick "dip & dry" after each use it will stay pretty much non-stick. I do add a little oil, butter etc... each time I use the pan so in that sense it is not truly non-stick. If you use the pan for heavier frying or a soupy mixture then it will need to be seasoned again.