Crazy for cast iron!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
I got a 7 qt cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas and it came with a little catalog with basically everything cast iron you could ever want in it lol! Now instead of sugarplums I'm going to be dreaming of cast iron muffin tins, and loaf pans, griddles, and mini skillets LOLOL

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Oh wow, that's cool cake!!

Nice to see you, Fiona! My husband actually reminded me of this group by asking if I still come on here lol. I said, "No, but I should!"

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Krumkake Cast Iron

Hello all! I'm new here. I saw something about cast iron and jumped on in! I just purchased (on ebay) a cast iron Krumkake iron! My mother had one from a friend who brought it from Norway. Just wanted to tell others who love cast iron. My hubby just doesn't quite get it. :)

Welcome to DC, Georgia Bloom.. :)

There are a number of schools of thought concerning CI cleaning..

Mine has served me well for 40 years...
Assuming your CI is well seasoned (Lodge makes perfectly seasoned CI) I just clean with hot water (no cleansing soaps) dry it thoroughly and set it on a hot burner for a couple of minutes.. I find no need to oil it before letting it cool down and putting it away..

Others use various methods and, I'm certain will post them here...

Ross

How do you clean your cast iron?

After frying in CI pan, I let hot tap water sit in the pan for half an hour or so. I then use a stiff dish wand brush and use a bit more hot tap water, not for an extended time tho. I switch the water to cold and scrub it with the brush. No soap, ever! The reason I limit scrubbing with hot water and use cold water is that I've found the pans seasoned coating doesn't get damaged. I use to use hot water exclusively and found it partially removed the pans non-stick seasoned properties, requiring me to re-season the pan.

Last edited:
How do you clean your cast iron?
I use a plastic scraper that came with my Pampered Chef stoneware pans. No soap, just hot water and scrubbing. Then I put the cast iron pan on my gas stove on a low flame to dry it thoroughly. Rub it with about a half teaspoon of oil and stow it away.

I use hot water and dish soap and a scrubber to clean my CI skillets.

Once your CI is well-seasoned, soap is fine. Mild soap, not detergent.

The most important step is making sure it's completely dried after washing. I dry mine out with a paper towel and then put it on a burner for a minute or so.

Then I apply the thinnest coat of oil and wipe very clean.

The "no soap" rule is a kitchen myth.

The "no soap" rule is a kitchen myth.

Not if you're just starting out getting a seasoning going. Too hot a water and scrubbing with soap will remove it, believe me. Cleaning my CI pans gently and minimally allowed for the seasoning to buildup. Perhaps it would do fine now, but I'm still carefull not to overdo it when cleaning my CI.

Last edited:
I have more than a few pieces and have been cooking with a Griswold since I was a kid, 60+ years. I use Joy with no worries. Frying fish with canola or peanut oil does a great job freshening up a skillet.

I catch a fair amount of ling cod and halibut which does not smell bad when frying. My wife would agree about the the rock fish. I like them but she doesn't, even after soaking in milk for 4 hours. Lately I've been frying salmon but use an All Clad non stick for it.

As far as acid foods go, I'll make chili in the dutch oven and the tomatoes don't hurt it at all.

Back
Top Bottom